Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
G_O_L_D
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Planning for BT Whole Home Before I Buy

Go to solution

Screen Shot 2018-07-29 at 12.52.52.png

OK folks, before I go and buy the whole home system I wanted to know if this set up would actually work.

Ok quick low down on the situation, above you can see a ground plan for what I am trying to sort out (Not to scale).

Currently, all I have in place is the iMac and the SKY Q Box at the moment.

The SKY Q box only has two ethernet ports :smileysad: of which one is take up to the Smart TV, then this leaves me with only one other port for the Whole Home Hub box 1. So I am hoping 8 port ethernet port will solve the problem, as I am requiring to put in a 2nd ethernet lead into a '3TB LAN Drive' and 3rd ethernet lead into the 'SNUG' approx 25 meters up the garden for 'Whole Home Hub 3' to give me internet mesh coverage in the 'SNUG' and 'GARDEN'.

Do all the WholeHome Hubs have to work through the wifi set up as well as ethernet or can you mix the setup or what? (I know the 1st Hub needs to be ethernet connected)

Any help on this potential setup would be great, please.

I DON'T want suggestions on other systems unless SKY Q Hub doesn't work with BT Whole home.

Hope this makes sense, any info or questions please fire away. Thanks in advance.

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: Planning for BT Whole Home Before I Buy

Go to solution

Hi @G_O_L_D

This set-up will work fine with BT Whole Home Wi-Fi. You can have a mixture of Wi-Fi / Ethernet connected discs - the discs will decide which one of the Ethernet connected discs is best to become the master.

One thing to consider is what type of switch you buy - some managed Ethernet switches will block the communication between the discs. It is important that they do not block unknown/unmanaged multicast addresses for WHW to work correctly. So may be worth just getting a "dumb" switch if you haven't bought it yet.

Dan-O

Community ModeratorDanO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Devices queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BT device queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
G_O_L_D
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

@Dan-O thanks,

ok, I did think that would work, however, you mentioned DUMB switch would you recommend anyone in particular?

Thanks for such a quick response 

Lee,

0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Hi @G_O_L_D

Anything "unmanaged" will do the job without needing to worry about anything being accidentally blocked.

BT has both 5 and 8 port Gigabit models available. 

Dan-O

Community ModeratorDanO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Devices queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BT device queries. Go here for more info.
CJT80
Expert
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

The BT Shop has a 5 port BT one 

:smileyhappy:

(Should avoid any issues as that's a BT link) 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
wenklaw
Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

Personally I would avoid using an unmanaged switch as that can also cause issues with multiple devices and multicast traffic.  Not sure if you use multicast channels now but you may do in the future.  My unmanaged TP Link hub caused  a device plugged in to it to refuse to connect in a similar setup (Arlo base station) with a multicast device on my network.  Managed switch its all fine.

I would see if all the discs will connect up via WiFi 5ghz backhaul and not connect the disc to the ethernet and unmanaged switch.  You say 25m distance but is that cable length rather than as the crow flies so to speak? Mine would be about a 25m cable run but via WiFi they provide 275Mb/s+ as a minimum.

If you need to go down the switch route I would buy a managed one.  I use https://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/details/TL-SG108E.html  which works absolutley fine with the BTWH WiFi

G_O_L_D
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

@wenklaw that's as the crow flies, I would say more 40 meters once going around walls and garden.

I was going to test it just using wifi and see what happens, hopefully, it will stay connected, if not break out the cabling lol.

Just very annoying that the SKY Q box only has 2 Ethernet Ports.

0 Ratings
wenklaw
Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

I see, 25 metres is a fair old distance if its through thick walls etc as well but you can give WiFi a go first.

I hooked up one of my discs to a powerline and the system made it the master instead of the disc plugged into my router, which i found odd and although i dont really know if it would cause an issue it suggests traffic would be routed in not the most efficient manner although i dont know that for sure.  Just didnt seem as it should and doesnt help my mild OCD!!!!

https://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/details/TL-SG108E.html  they work for me on the BTWH WiFi

0 Ratings
G_O_L_D
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

@wenklaw funny you should mention the powerline thing, I was going to use that (as i do have a couple of those laying around doing nothing at the mo), but didn't know if it was going to work? it would drive me up the wall with my mild CDO too (That's OCD in alphabetical order, I Thankyou! :smileyvery-happy:) thinking that the master should be the once right next to the router! oh well IOT is a funny old game lol.

But on a serious note I will try the wifi first in the new Snug (once its built lol) the move up from there if needs be.

I'll post back on here once its all done and let you all know it works, and any issues that I came across.

0 Ratings
wenklaw
Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

I also found the speed to the disc connected via a powerline is reduced considerably compared to the other discs that use 5ghz wifi backhaul.  This as i understand is dependant on wiring of houses though so you may be fine.  Mine was approx 25meg, which compared to 275meg+ is woeful, i just couldnt leave it connected like that!!! 

0 Ratings