cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Please help with WiFi Extender issue

Hi everyone hoping someone can help me. I have 2 sets of BT Wifi extenders.

The first is the BT Broadband Extender Flex 1000 Kit with wired AV1000 Powerline and pass-through socket. This is connected to the main BT Hub downstairs and a second is in the bedroom. No issues with these at all.

• The second set we have in the house is the BT Broadband Extender 600. I can't get with of these to sync up correctly with the BT Hub even though it appears that they are compatible with the BT Extender Flex 1000. The data light will come on but the laptops only shows an unidentified network when connected with an ethernet cable and the PlayStation 4 doesn't show anything. I hope this made sense to someone and would appreciate any advice.
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Please help with WiFi Extender issue

You can't have a second 'set' of extenders. You can only connect one extender to the hub, any further extenders only use the slave unit.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 7

Unfortunately unless you have a commercial router / networking setup, you can't usually setup more than 2 extenders per router. My best advice would be to find one of the free "wifi signal strength measurer" apps available on both google/apple app stores and walk around your property to find where the weak spots are...

Once downloaded on any wifi enabled smartphone, assuming you already have your main router and a pair of working extenders, you should have 3 wifi connections in your property - the original router, plus the re-broadcasted extender signals.  Go round every room you intend to use the wifi in, and ideally you want at least 1 of the 3 available wifi channels to show a good strength in those areas.

Assuming you have long distances between some of the rooms or very thick walls or cellar etc, you might find these signals are not adequate - I'm going to assume further this is why you're wanting to setup further extenders. In this case it is first worth playing around with the positioning of the extenders you already have - perhaps on the other side of a room, or the next room along - and repeat the process checking signal strength.

Bear in mind, you might already know - often a low-medium wifi signal is enough to use the internet,  like sending emails, chat or browsing most websites, but it will begin to "lag" if any larger volume of data is trying to be transmitted over this weaker signal - for example streaming video.

Your next option is to consider using a wire (known as RJ45 cable) to physically connect your main router to the device directly. Despite the job of drilling a hole here or tucking the wire into the side there, this really is the best option. FIrstly there is no reduction in speed or lag or ping, and secondly you are not creating excessive amounts of electromagnetic radiation that you live in. While these amounts aren't dangerous as long as you're not sleeping right next to the router, adding more and more layers of EMF do eventually add up.

Bear in mind you can physically connect a repeater station, via this cable, to your main WIFI router - it might be worth checking (if you have a small cable laying around from one of the extenders) if this can get around your repeater limit - before investing in a longer RJ45 cable that could reach around the property.

i hope some of these ideas are helpful.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Thank you so much for the reply this was a great help. It seems that I have to have one of the extenders connected directly in the router leaving one upstairs for my wife's TV. One last question. There is a guide regarding adding additional BT Broadband Extender Flex 1000 to the network. If I was to remove the BT Broadband Extender 600s altogether and buy an additional set of the Flex 1000s would this work?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

As I said previously, you can't use 2 'sets' of extenders. You can only use one master extender connected to the hub with multiple slave extenders at the required locations. If you buy another kit, don't connect another one to the hub, just use them as slaves.

Edit. The title of your thread is WiFi Extender issue, however, the extender flex 1000 doesn't have wifi capability, only Ethernet.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

I have a pair of extenders ( 600)

One plugged in by router. Other by TV.

For upstairs I have a TP link, inexpensive! Gets the signal into places others can't reach.

Perhaps irrelevant. If so.... sorry.

But the Idea of needing something else to provide signal upstairs piqued my curiosity.

Cheers

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 7

As already explained, you cannot have two seperate powerline networks running on one hub, but you can add additional units to an existing network.

The following was taken from page 6 of the user manual for the Home Hotspot 600 but should also be good for the Broadband Extender 600.

How to add more Powerline extenders to your existing network
You can expand your home network by adding more extenders to your existing kit.
1 Plug your additional broadband extender directly into a wall power socket.
Make sure the socket’s switched on.
2 Press the Link button on your additional broadband extender for 5 to 8 seconds.
Wait for the Power light to go back to steady green.
3 Press the Link button again, this time for 1 second.
4 Within 2 minutes, press the Link button on one of the broadband extenders already in
your home for 1 second to complete the connection to the network.
5 Wait for connection to complete. If everything’s okay, the Power and Data indicators on
the new extender will light up.
TIP: you might find it easier to plug your new broadband extender in the same
double power socket or near one of your existing ones whilst you set things up.
To connect using the ethernet cable
1 Connect your device to one of the ethernet ports on the hotspot.
You’ll need an ethernet cable for each device you want to connect to the hotspot.