Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Amadapj
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Poor Wifi should I go for a mini hub

We have 3 Smartphones and an iPad and get extremely frustrated as we are forever loosing wifi, even though on our devices it's showing 2/3 bars of signal strength. We even stand by the hub and still no wifi even though the 3 blue icons are on ( we have a BT hub 3) unfortunately there is no infinity in our area... any suggestions please, would a mini hub be a benefit?
Tags (2)
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Poor Wifi should I go for a mini hub

If the signal is poor even when you are near to the Homehub a minihub won't help.

A few things to try- 

Carry out ONE factory reset of the Homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. This can often sort out problems.

Turn off Smart Wireless by selecting a fixed wireless channel. Channel 13 is usually the least congested. If you get a warning when you select it just ignore. It is a warning for USA where using channel 13 is illegal.

See link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14094/~/how-do-i-change-the-wi-fi-channel-on-my-bt-hu...

If that doesn't help you could try and get a new hub from BT or  better idea would be to buy a decent third party router. As you are on ADSL broadband there are any number of good routers to choose from and they are not expensive. Just make sure it has an ADSL2 modem incorporated.

0 Ratings
Amadapj
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Thank you for the prompt reply, I will try the reset first and see if that works, failing that I will go for the second and possibly inv st in a new hub... will keep you posted
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

If you intend spending money, don't buy a new Homehub3, go for a third party router. Most if not all will out perform a Homehub3.

0 Ratings
Amadapj
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Will do, not sure if you can but a recommendations on a third party router.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Any of the known brands such as Netgear, TP-Link etc ADSL modem wireless routers will be fine it all depends on your budget as regards the specs but even a basic one will be as good as if not better than the HH3.

If you think there is a chance of getting Infinity soon you may want to get a VDSLModem/router. that also has an ADSL modem. This would allow you to keep using it should you get Infinity.  

0 Ratings
Amadapj
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Thank you, I will have a look online to replace my HH3,
afraid infinity is not due here anytime soon...just one thing can I just plug the new one in or do I have to program it in - sorry to be a nuisance asking all these questions
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Most are just plug and play but if you need to put anything in it will be the user name bthomehub@btbroadband.com and the password if the router needs one can be anything or just use BT.

0 Ratings
Amadapj
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Once again thank you for all your help, will start shopping around for a better router 👍🏻
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

If you get one with external aerials it will give you a better range than one with internal aerials.

0 Ratings