cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Port Forwarding Port 443 on BT Smart Hub 2

I am trying to get Alexa working with my Synology NAS Audio Station package.

For this Synology have told me that they require Port 443 to be open on my BT Smart Hub 2 for their device.

I have tried multiple times to open this port using the BT published instructions to no avail. A Port forwarding tester - yougetsignal.com indicates that the port is closed even though I have added it to the Firewall settings for the Synology Diskstation. Any ideas would be very welcome as I cannot understand why this is not currently working as documented. I am a network novice.  BT are so far refusing to provide any telephone support for this change.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Port Forwarding Port 443 on BT Smart Hub 2

1. If you are only trying to access the device within your LAN you don't need to forward any ports.

2. The port will only be open whilst the application is active.

3. You can't access your public IP address and port via your homehub wifi, you need to use 4G or a different location as the hub doesn't support NAT loopback.

4. As well as forwarding the port, turm off UPnP as it may conflict.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

@MyMidget78 

You do not need any ports open to the Internet, for local connections within your own LAN. As Alexa only works within your own home network, then open ports are not needed.

Open ports are only needed if you are trying to access your NAS from an external Internet address.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Synology instructions indicate that the NAS must be accessible from the Internet and for security a https connection should be enabled together with a Lets Encrypt certificate. Both of which I have done. All they have said is to ensure that port 443 is open on my BT Router.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Total nonsense if connecting within your Lan

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

I think the point is that even if he is connecting to the NAS within his LAN, the NAS has to have internet access to function and that connection needs to be secure...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

I think I would be wary of a NAS that needed to be accessible from the internet to function, that is entirely different to requiring internet access.

In any case, the OP hasn't been back since January so suspect the problem is resolved.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

I'm interested in this thread because I have a Synology NAS (DS218+) and a BT Smart Hub 2.  I think the OP's reference to Internet access is ambiguous because the Synology NAS is (obviously) installed on the users home network and doesn't require port forwarding for access on that network.  However Synology also utilises something called Quick Connect ID that provides access to the NAS remotely via secure Synology servers.  Using a Quick Connect ID to access the Synology NAS remotely avoids the need to set up port forwarding - it's easy configure and use, but can be a bit slow if there's a lot of data transfer.  I've streamed music and video from my NAS over 4G to a phone using Synology iOS audio & video apps and it works well.

In terms of needing to be accessible from the internet to be able to function, I'd assumed they were referring to it having to be accessible remotely to operate as a media/file server.  It'll function fine as a NAS on a LAN without internet access, but internet access does enable connection to the to the DS operating system, allowing admin functions such as installing or updating applications, plus Synology notifications relating to NAS malfunctions, app updates etc.

0 Ratings