cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Power supply for the ONT (FTTP)

Go to solution

Can anyone confirm the input voltage and current requirement for the new Optical Network Terminals that are being fitted into domestic premises for the BT FTTP service and also size of the power plug, as I am thinking of getting a minin UPS to power my ONT and have my eye on this particular device:-

Eaton 3S Mini - UPS - 36 Watt - 2.2 Ah - black, white

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Power supply for the ONT (FTTP)

Go to solution

I think the Cyberpower BR700 is far more flexible and a better investment as it can backup your other devices like routers and switches and even your pc.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

The BR700 would be way too big for where I want to put mine. I already have two of these: Cyberpower VP1000EILCD Value PRO 1000va/550w Tower LCD UPS, 6xIEC Outlets and AVR, Black, one of which is used to power my Synology DiskStation and the other to power my ASUS RT-AX88U router and Gigaset base station for my two Gigaset 570HX handsets. I only need a very small device to fix to the wall near the ONT and the one I have seen on Amazon seems ideal, so I have purchased one to see if it will do the trick. I'll update this thread when I know more.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

@SixtiesFan For the Nokia ONT (Model G-010G-Q), the input is 12.0V DC at 0.5A. The power supply has a matched rated output of 12.0V DC at 0.5A. So you're looking at 6W.

Not sure about the other ONTs that are available.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

The main thing will probably be whether one of the supplied plugs fits the Nokia ONT that I have. Here are the main stated specs:-

• Mini UPS to ensure power continuity for connected equipment during power outages. An affordable and compact UPS providing power to Internet routers, IP cameras, Home assistants and Smart controllers
  • 4 output connector types to adapt to your equipment requirements(3.5x1.5mm / 4.75x1.7mm / 5.5x2.1mm / 5.5x2.5mm)
  • Lithium-ion batteries enabling runtime from 40 minutes to more than 5h
  • Power rating 36W - Possible output voltages: 9/12/15/19 V DC
  • Super compact, silent and stylish design - Dimensions: 95.5(L) x 30(H) x 136(P) mm

It's also cheaper at the moment, so a good time for me to have bought it.

UPS Recent Price History.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Understood - I always assume the ONT is close to the router and switch as in my situation.

I've just specced a 1000mAh capacity 1A Li-ion intelligent charger from this site and it comes to £19.50

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

It's installed now. I'll post some photos later.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

I've got the UPS, which arrived this morning, installed now. Initially, I wasn't too happy with how it looked after I had replaced the BT power unit with the UPS (see relevant photo of the ONT). Also, the plug on the UPS was a little bit wobbly when plugged into the bottom of the ONT and being black, looked ugly as well, so after considering my options for an hour or so, I came up with a plan to cut the low-voltage wire from the BT ONT plug and connect it to the low-voltage lead from the UPS. Rather amazingly, I had everything I needed from leftovers of previous DIY projects, including a correct-size cable clip and rubber grommet for the cover plate and I even managed to make fresh use of the original back box for the BT master socket to hide the connections between the two low-voltage cables. The second photo of the ONT shows the much-improved situation. 

The initial situationThe initial situationThe final situationThe final situationThe UPS connected and workingThe UPS connected and working

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Apparantly the cyberpower for fttp and none fttp are the exact same model.

Bt need to supply something like this-

Universal Power Cable USB to DC 5.5 * 2.1mm Jack 5V Charging Cord 8 in 1 New

IMG_20221124_124007_964.jpg

 just plug into the hub 2.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

See my earlier message

0 Ratings