cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DarkEnergy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Premium Whole Home WIFI crashes with ZOOM or Skype

After several months of using a 3 disks Premium WH WiFi connected to a Virgin Super hub 3.0 I'm finding a large excess of crashes  during the first 5 or 10 minutes of starting either a ZOOM or Skype conference. On average I'm doing about 8 conferences a week and so far only few of them have not experienced a crash of the first disk. The conferences lasts about one hour each. Outside this crashes the system has been stable for time spans between 7 and 65 hours.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
KWbarbs
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Re: Premium Whole Home WIFI crashes with ZOOM or Skype

I am having the same problem.  This has been acknowledged by BT - https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Devices/LATEST-Virgin-Smart-Hub-3-with-Premium-Whole-Home-Wi-Fi-Issue...

There is no fix but I have reduced the frequency of drop outs.

1. Have you tried putting the SH3 into router mode only (that is disabling the wifi on the 5 and 2.4 freqs)?

2. Failing that I put my SH3 into modem mode, put a Ubiquiti router in front of it and connected the BT WHP discs to that. It works, but I still have to reboot occasionally. About once every two days.

Still looking for a permanent solution from BT though.

0 Ratings
DarkEnergy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Perhaps I didn't explain my self properly. I know about the problems with Virgin smart hub. I've been waiting for a proper firmware update since I bought the system in February and I've sent several crash outputs to btconnectedhome@bt.com. What I was reporting is that almost invariably after a few minutes of starting a conference with either ZOOM or Skype the first disk crashes and needs rebooting.
Could be by chance, but 15 minutes ago I started a ZOOM connection and the internet went down after a few minutes. This happened 24 hours after the previous crash that took place yesterday during my previous ZOOM connection.
0 Ratings
KWbarbs
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Apologies, I had automatically jumped to the conclusion that you were experiencing the same issues and it was just the 'chatty' nature of the video calls that caused the drop outs to be more evident at that point. But without knowing what is causing the conflicts with the SH3 or other routers this was just a theory.  Hopefully someone more knowledgable will come along and help soon.

0 Ratings