cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
richardar1969
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Premium Whole Home Wi-Fi Ethernet Connection Between Discs

I have four discs in my system but due to the L-shape layout of my house, the one furthest away often struggles with signal strength, often <-85. Due to space constraints, I can't move the discs physically closer to one another and so I thought that I would connect the two discs via Ethernet cable.

I have run a new Cat6 Ethernet cable between it and another disc (not the master) that always has good signal strength but the app never shows the connection type as Ethernet. Swapping between Ethernet ports makes no difference, nor does using a different cable nor does restarting the network. All discs are running the latest firmware and I can't find any configuration settings to force the disc to use the Ethernet port instead of the poor Wi-Fi signal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have run out of ideas.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Sircoynie
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Premium Whole Home Wi-Fi Ethernet Connection Between Discs

This isn’t working properly, unfortunately BT have miss sold us all this functionality and we are all waiting for a “mythical update” to fix it. 

You will see no valid response regarding this from the mod team either I am afraid as BT don’t care.

Sorry to be so negative, but this is the situation with this abandoned, miss sold and faulty product I am afraid.

0 Ratings
richardar1969
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for the informative response, even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear, having spent a significant amount of money on four discs.

As you predicted, there hasn't been a response from the moderators and I am left with the options of waiting for a (possible) firmware update to add the advertised functionality, replacing the whole system or adding a fifth disc to try to bridge the dead-spot in my coverage. Not great after a year of owning the system.

0 Ratings
Sircoynie
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 7

Hi, I’m really sorry to hear that my prediction was correct. The mods appear to have abandoned this product on the forums now as well. Seems BT are just going to leave their “Premium” customers dangling in the dark with a falsely advertised and faulty product. 

I have contacted BBC’s watchdog about this as well as Money saving experts resolver which I am waiting to hear back from as I am sure that this would be deemed as false advertising and that we should all be entitled to our money back? Will let you know if either come back to me.

Last BT product I will ever buy! 

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 7

What connection type do you refer to, the connection between the two discs (i.e. the ethernet cable) or the connection of the disc to the hub?

If the latter then, presumably it doesn't show as ethernet because the disc you piggy backed off is not the master, i.e. it is connected to the hub via the mesh

0 Ratings
richardar1969
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

I am referring to the connection between the two discs.

In the App the most remote disc shows as a poor connection due to the low Wi-Fi signal level whereas I expected it to show connection by Ethernet if an Ethernet cable was linking the two discs.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 7

First off I have to say that I do not have wholehome wifi and have no knowledge of the app so for what it's worth, I can only speculate. I wouldn't normally do so but I have made an exception given the lack of response to your original post.

In your original post you stated that the disc you connected to was not the master, therefore it has no cable connection to the hub and the final connection between the disc in question and the hub involves a wireless hop. Presumably any connection to the ethernet socket of the disc you piggy backed off will also show as a wireless device.

0 Ratings