Message 1 of 49

Premium Whole Home Wi-Fi SGAB204002 Release

WHWIFI.png.jpg

Hi Everyone

SGAB204002 has now been made available to everyone as from the 26th May 2020’

Changes since SGAB203010 (FR2):

• Bridge mode operation

What is bridge mode?

Bridge mode means that the Premium Whole Home Wi-Fi network is "transparent" within the network and allows network traffic to pass directly between clients and the router without changing the router IP address as with previous firmware versions.

You will notice certain applications and features on your router may work better in this mode (e.g. gaming, parental controls).

Early Adopter

This feature allows you to opt-in to receive firmware upgrades ahead of full release to try out new features/firmware.

In order to receive Early Adopter updates, you need to follow these steps:

• Ensure your firmware version is SGAB203010 or later
  • Using a web browser, go to http://btwhole.home
  • Change the Early Adopter setting to "Enabled"
  • Next time you check for updates with the app or web interface, your system will be able to access the Early Adopter upgrade.

NOTE: You can disable Early Adopter at any time but this will not automatically move your system back to the previous version. To do this you will need to use Firmware Rollback (found at http://btwhole.home/rollback.htm) and factory reset your system.

Standard upgrade advice:

• After the update, we recommend you leave your discs for a few hours to allow them to settle into their configuration.
  • During this time your Wi-Fi connection will be working fine, but you may see lights turning orange and blue and short drops in connection. If this happens we recommend not moving your discs or adjusting any settings.
  • When your network has settled, you may also notice that the disc layout displayed on the App is different or that your devices connect to a different disc – this is completely normal.
  • If you have good internet connection on all your devices, your Premium Whole Home Wi-Fi is working properly so there should be no need to tamper with its layout or network configuration.

If the new firmware is not working as you’d like, try powering off/on all the discs at the socket and allow them to reconnect and settle. If you still need help afterwards, come back to us, here on Community, or contact the helpdesk on 0808 100 6116 or email btconnectedhome@bt.com so that we understand your issue and help fix it.

Cheers

Sean

48 REPLIES 48
Sircoynie
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 49

Re: Premium Whole Home Wi-Fi SGAB204002 Early Adopter Release

Great to see some more features being added.

Is it now recommended to put BWHP into Bridge mode when connected to a Smart Hub 2 which has other devices connected to it's ethernet ports?

0 Ratings
chamsters
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 49

Hi there,

Can i get a bit more clarity on how bridge mode works in practice?

My network:

* I have a virgin media hub in modem mode. 192.168.100.1. 

* I have my own Asus router that issues IPs. 192.168.1.1

* The 3 BT disks have picked up an IP each - in the 192.168.1.130-140 range. 

* My clients pick up an ip from the router, 192.168.1.x, and if I go to the client list on the router I see all the clients showing as wired. I also see the 3 discs with their IPs showing as wired connected to router (only 1 - the primary - is. the other 2 are guests of the 1 primary.)

* My clients show gateway as the ip address of the discs they are connected to. 

* I have no issues with clients speaking with one another, irrespective of gateway (i.e. disc) they're connected to. 

So does this mean that all my clients will now have 192.168.1.1 as the gateway instead of using the disc as an intermediate step? To what benefit?

Thanks!

0 Ratings
chamsters
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 49

Took the plunge. Easy upgrade, took 3 mins. As per earlier post, all my clients now have the ip of my main router as the gateway.

Waiting for things to stabilise before running ping test. My previous annoyance was that introducing these discs added significant (4-5ms+) latency into my network. 

0 Ratings
Sircoynie
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 49

How did you enable it, I can't find the option?
0 Ratings
chamsters
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 49

Mine just booted in this mode. I don't see an option to toggle.
0 Ratings
Sircoynie
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 49

Ok cool, I will reboot then as nothing appears to have changed.
0 Ratings
Dan-O
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 8 of 49

@Sircoynie 

You may find rebooting your router will help as well if it hasn't switched over immediately, to flush all of the current DHCP leases so clients have to request again.

You'll find that the Gateway IP address on all client devices is now the same as the router IP address. DNS server will still be set to the primary disc, which is needed for some features to work properly. 

Dan-O

0 Ratings
Dan-O
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 9 of 49

@chamsters 

Yes all your clients will have 192.168.1.1 as the gateway address now instead of the master disc.

It means there is one less "hop" for data to travel between your devices and the Internet, so you should see a marginal improvement to latency.

Also now your router will receive traffic from clients on the WHW network with their original MAC address so any rules you've set up on the router will continue to work as normal.

Dan

chamsters
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 49

Hi Dan,

The upgrade appears to have made your discs hijack my HTTP server at home. I have a server connected to the router (not the nodes). If I try to browse through it - internally or externally - I'm redirected to http://mydomain/2.0/gui/mypage.php

The 2.0 gui is the URL of your discs. 

This is happening whether i access externally or internally via IP. It is also happening on devices connected directly to the router, not touching the discs at all. So, it's a hijack. 

This is actually a massive issue. 

Edit: I've also noticed that my client list on the router is a mess. Most of my devices are showing up multiple times. Combined with this http redirect hijack I've reverted to the last stable version. 

Checking ping times, was still getting 5-11ms, compared to 3ms when connected to wifi on my router directly. 

These discs both make me happy (nice to have my full internet speed all over the house) and infuriate me. 

0 Ratings