cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 31 of 47

Re: Premium Whole Home Wi-Fi SGAB204002 Early Adopter Release

So are you expecting all users to factory reset their devices after this update as it was known to cause WebGui issues?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 32 of 47

@Sircoynie I upgraded my 4 disks two days ago (dirty upgrade ie no factory reset) and all appears OK with web interface and app.  

Just in case it’s of any use for any other user, I’m still waiting for a fix to address a stability problem I have when one of the discs on the fringe of Wi-Fi range (-89db) is connected by Ethernet backhaul.  Seems plugging an Ethernet cable in does not disable the AX backhaul and if the Wi-Fi backhaul comes up and down like a yo-yo things eventually get very unstable.  Like two machines connected by Ethernet to the same hub having packet loss - ping timeouts between the two of them!  I haven’t figured out if this is a data storm or some sort of ARP table corruption but it is “unusual” to say the least.

BT are aware of this edge condition and promise it will be addressed in a future firmware when they introduce “bus mode” - multiple disks supported with Ethernet backhaul direct to the router.  If only there was a simpler (quick) option to disable the backhaul Wi-Fi manually via a checkbox or even when you just plug the Ethernet cable in.  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 33 of 47

If you plug the Ethernet cable in to the disc and it sees the internet then WiFi backhaul should turn off.

Try a few things to rule out a setup issue, otherwise contact the helpdesk and they will collect more information to help diagnose the fault and send details to @MurrayB 

1. Use a different cable to connect to the sub discs.
2. Reboot only the primary disc and then reconnect the Ethernet cable between disc 2 & 3

I am assuming sub disc connected by Ethernet cable are connected this way. 

lnajr02_0-1580805606794.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 34 of 47

@lnajr02 I agree it should be.  But according to @Dan-O with whom I’m in contact it’s left on as a failover measure.  Daft eh?

Yes, Ethernet backhaul runs into port 2 on primary disk.  You should get commission on your diagram 😉

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 35 of 47

I have just looked at my disc topology as I have a disc (study) connected to the master disc via ethernet and the remaining 4 connected via Wi-fi.

It appears that the Study disk is actually now showing as being connected via Wi-fi when I know it isn't as when I do a speed check I am able to get my full 1Gbp/s download speed which is not possible when I remove the ethernet plug from the study to the master disc?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 36 of 47

@Sircoynie Sounds similar to the problems I've got. 

I had a scenario where my Ethernet connected disk would report as connected via ethernet immediately after boot then sometime later would report as WiFi connected) - all the time delivering fast connectivity through the Ethernet cable.

I disabled "Smart Topology" (seems to only be available in the app and not in the Web UI).  Rebooting all disks gradually and the Ethernet disk remains reporting as Ethernet).  You obviously lose the benefit of Smart topology of course but my disks seem to connect as I would expect/hope.

I mentioned above that my ethernet connected disk was on the fringe of WiFi range so was unnecessarily yo-yo-ing the AX backhaul.  I've now adjusted the position of the disks so that the ethernet connected disk has a steady (but "poor") wifi connection at -86dB, i.e just in range.  It seems to prefer the ethernet backhaul (least cost routing etc) and appears to be stable.  This may not suit your Study position.  But as an experiment try disconnecting the ethernet backhaul and see if you get a weak or intermittent wifi connection.

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 37 of 47

I have disconnected, reset and left it on for a while and now get connected via wifi with unknown signal strength . The placement is within a Good - Excellent position according to the app when I set it up via wifi originally.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 38 of 47

@Sircoynie  Sorry my workaround didn't work.  If it's within WiFi range in the study and after disabling "Smart Topology" and rebooting it always reports connected via WiFi then I haven't got any other short term suggestions.

It reminded me that on March 17th Dan-O ( @Dan-O )  wrote to me suggesting "Firstly, the topology display issue is well understood and a fix is in the works. There is an issue with the event reporting when a disc starts using Ethernet backhaul."

We definitely need a bunch of fixes when it comes to Ethernet backhaul.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 39 of 47

Any news when the next release is due to come out?

Also what is on the current road map, is there going to be any integration for smart homes, a lot networking companies now have some IFTTT Integration so you can do things like run custom automations when certin devices connect to your WiFi system?

Just curious as I have a smartthings hub and this sort of integration really helps.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 40 of 47

Re: Premium Whole Home Wi-Fi SGAB204002 Release

I'm struggling to understand why, even with the latest firmware, the DHCP repsonse from the router, coming back to a wifi client via a Premium Whole Home disc, has the nameserver field changed by the Premium device. It seems to be removing the IP of the dedicated nameserver on my local network and substituting with its own IP address. Why is it necessary for the Premium discs to have to proxy the DNS requests?

0 Ratings