cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 41 of 52

Re: Premium Whole Home Wi-Fi SGAB205018 Release now live

@DarkEnergy I did.  I asked Dan what runs on a weekly cycle and he suggested disabling automatic firmware checking.  It seemed to help.  

I’ve also disabled smart topology and set the channels manually, though the latter gets reset after a restart.

I do have a satellite connected by weak signal strength that reboots after a week or less.  There is a problem with satellite disks in weak connectivity range which I understand is one of the reasons why Ethernet backhaul doesn’t work properly.

The whole system seems to go a bit slow after a week, throughput from satellites halves etc

So I end up restarting the system and manually selecting channels on roughly a weekly basis anyway.

Your regular reboot might be a “feature” 😞

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 42 of 52

Thanks Kevin but the firmware check  is disabled so it cannot be that. 

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 43 of 52

Still no valid BT response to the community concerns and questions raised earlier in this thread? 

BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 44 of 52

Like many companies that develop and release firmware updates for its products and services, BT does not release schedules, timescales or scopes of upcoming firmware releases.

BT’s firmware development is, and has to remain, agile so that it can not only include the higher priority new features and fixes for existing issues, but also include, often at short notice, fixes for newly identified issues that are either identified with our products or with products and services from other manufacturers that connect to, or utilise, them.

This agile approach means that, in order to accommodate any new, high priority issues, the scope and release dates of firmware releases are subject to constant change so, rather than announce the contents and scope of a release in advance only for that scope or release date to require change, BT only announce firmware releases once they have been fully tested and made available for Early Adopter installation.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 45 of 52

@MurrayBwrote:

Like many companies that develop and release firmware updates for its products and services, BT does not release schedules, timescales or scopes of upcoming firmware releases.

BT’s firmware development is, and has to remain, agile so that it can not only include the higher priority new features and fixes for existing issues, but also include, often at short notice, fixes for newly identified issues that are either identified with our products or with products and services from other manufacturers that connect to, or utilise, them.

This agile approach means that, in order to accommodate any new, high priority issues, the scope and release dates of firmware releases are subject to constant change so, rather than announce the contents and scope of a release in advance only for that scope or release date to require change, BT only announce firmware releases once they have been fully tested and made available for Early Adopter installation.

Whilst appreciate the reply and understand you are only posting what you’ve been told it doesn’t actually help customers (people who’ve paid money) 

Premium WiFi wasn’t fit for purpose when it was released almost 1 year on it still has issues which hinder daily stable usage. Customers are continually told its being worked on and usually when a firmware update does arrive it might fix one issue but it still leaves or introduces more.

It’s really disappointing BT can’t acknowledge that customers shouldn’t have to put up with level of poor service for so long. 

I think all customers would prefer issues fixed first instead of introducing new features, I know I would.

Contributor
Message 46 of 52

This has nothing to do with "Agile".  In fact one of the key principles behind Agile development is about delivering working software frequently.  Something that BT definitely do not display with this particular product!

I think the problem here, as many have pointed out before, is that BT seems to have history of releasing products that are just not quite right; perhaps in an attempt to beat competitors.  This seemed to be the case of the original Whole Home which went through a lot of updates prior to becoming recognised as a pretty solid product.  One hopes that the same will be the case for the Premium product.

Some people will wait, and eventually might be rewarded with a similar good product and others (like myself) will simply return their BT Whole Home Premium and look elsewhere.  Their are now many, many mesh systems to choose from.  You pays your money and you makes your choice.

Aspiring Expert
Message 47 of 52

This is a very poor PR post. At no point do you acknowledge our frustrations, show any customer empathy or value our custom and patience with a product that is clearly and knowingly by yourselves not working as advertised and sold. This post really is bringing to light the strategic approach currently employed at this company. Shame.
Aspiring Expert
Message 48 of 52

Wow, I was about to purchase these discs today. Although the Ethernet backhaul would be really good to have, personally I could wait a little while for that. However constant disconnection and restarts for no reason, no thanks! 😞

I really wish I could find a decent mesh with PPoE Auth so I can use my OR modem and critically, something that can handle IGMP properly for the BT Sport channels (inc. UHD)

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 49 of 52

@Red_Snowwrote:

Wow, I was about to purchase these discs today. Although the Ethernet backhaul would be really good to have, personally I could wait a little while for that. However constant disconnection and restarts for no reason, no thanks! 😞

I really wish I could find a decent mesh with PPoE Auth so I can use my OR modem and critically, something that can handle IGMP properly for the BT Sport channels (inc. UHD)

It’s very disappointing, BT don’t seem to understand this situation is unacceptable for paying customers.

Have a look at orbi rbk852, they should do everything and more - pricey but at least work.

Aspiring Expert
Message 50 of 52

Wow! BT just leaving us hanging here like our issues are just a bad smell. Thanks BT!