cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

RECORDINGS FROM PREVIOUS HUMAX T0 NEW BT PRO BOX

Hi everyone, newbies first issue requiring helpful advice if possible.

I have a Humax 4000T and having become really fed up with it, I did some research and bought a BT Pro Box.

The Humax has quite a few recordings on it which I would like to keep ideally by transferring them to the BT Pro.

Having searched around and even posed queries via the search facility on here, I cannot find anything even remotely helpful as to whether that would be possible.

Does anyone know how I might be able to transfer the recordings or does anyone have any suggestions that would mean I could watch the backlog of recordings by any other means ?

Until I solve this dilemma, I cannot start using my new BT Pro Box. ( I have tested it and it works just fine)

Many thanks

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: RECORDINGS FROM PREVIOUS HUMAX T0 NEW BT PRO BOX

It's technically possible to transfer SD recordings but isn't straightforward and involves exporting the files to a PC and then back again. HD files can't be copied or transferred due to the HDCP copy protection incorporated as part of the HD standard 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

You do realise that BT are the sole supplier of the Pro box and that they only supply them on loan and that it never at any time becomes the property of the party they are loaned to ?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

I assume  you don't  have a BT TV subscription.

Well the most  straightforward  way would be to have both old and new boxes connected to your TV with only one of them powered on.l ( Ie the box you are using  is powered  on or in standby, the other  power supply  switched off).

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Thank you Nigel.
Yes, I am aware regarding HD recordings.
I would be able to transfer the recordings to my PC especially as it is connected via an ethernet cable.
Two points if I may, you say it is not straightforward, could you elaborate please.
Secondly, will the BT Pro Box accept these recordings from my PC ?
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Les, I have bought the box from an independant supplier.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Zulu - you are correct, I don't have a BT subscription.
Your idea may have some promise, could you please explain the mechanics of what you are suggesting ?
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

@Fairjust0 

I think that @zulu17 means literally two set top boxes connected to two HDMI ports on your TV?

You might have an issue with the remote control trying to activate both boxes simultaneously, (I think they use the same codes), in which case a bit of insulating type tape over the sensor on the box, or powering off the unused box at the mains.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

@Fairjust0 

To transfer SD recordings from a Youview box the HDD needs connecting directly to the PC and ideally the PC is booted under a Unix derivative, I used Ubuntu.

When you copy them over you need to rename them as the filenames contain characters a Windows PC doesn't recognise.

You'll then need to convert them to a format that your TV etc would be able to play.

I don't believe it's in anyway possible to transfer those programme files to another Youview box and for that box to be able to play them as they won't be in it's index.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Thank you for that Tim.
The detail has been most helpful, because, being a relative numbskull, it's way too involved and complicated.
So, you see, you have effectively allowed me to rule out one option.
0 Ratings