Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Johnnyboy1964
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Re: BT Wholehome Discs Ethernet port

Go to solution

I will when i am home but i am currently working.

I have a hub 5 with the 1st disc connected via ethernet and then 4 other discs in the house including 1 in the summer house 60 metres away from the nearest disc.

I thought that a lan connection to the one disc in the summer house would be better than relying on the wi-fi between my house & summer house.

If it does say ethernet there must be a setup procedure on the wi fi wholehome app maybe but couldnt see it.

Also asked the question to BT who i believe actually do not know should i keep the master disc ( white) connected to the smarthub 2 router via ethernet and disable the wifi on the router or should i enable the wifi on the router and move the master away to another location in the house.

It means i will have 2 choices of wi-fi in my property which is annoying but do you think that`s a better option.

The smarthub 2 was designed specifically to work with Complete discs ( black ones)  and they cannot answer my query about using it with the white whole-home disc.

Why they have 2 types of system is beyond me!!, its as if the white discs are becoming redundant!!!

j

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
lnajr02
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 11

Go to solution

0 Ratings
Johnnyboy1964
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

So what is your response?

0 Ratings
lnajr02
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution
Hi Sorry a few problems replying using my mobile,
I agree the Ethernet connection to a disc in the summer house is better than relying on the wi-fi between my house & summer house.
All the White Whole home discs have to have the one disc connected to the HUB to work and its recommended that the WiFi on the HUB is turned off or forgotten, so devices switch across the mesh network.
In my experience if your HUB is near the front of the house, I would look to have the master disc near the centre of the home, if possible to get best coverage preferably in a star formation,
If you are going to have 2 choices of WiFi in the home you would have to manually switch between the two
I can confirm you can have BT complete WiFi and Whole home WiFi on the same network it will not work.
Why they have 2 types of system, One was designed for the high-street market, the first of it type in the UK, and the 2nd to extend BT’s broadband so offering a guaranteed WiFi access across the home for a monthly cost.
0 Ratings
lnajr02
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution
typo in the last message you can't have complete WiFi and Whole home on the same network as it will not work.. Sorry big fingers
0 Ratings
Johnnyboy1964
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

Thankyou,

so i can disconnect the ethernet from the 1st disc and place it somewhere else in the house but will have to enable the wifi function on the router and as you said i will have 2 choices for wifi connection which may be ok if there is an issue with the mesh system.

I was told the master disc had to be hard wired to the router but obviously that`s not the case.

I may mess about with it this weekend.

0 Ratings
lnajr02
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution
Sorry If I have confused you,
The Master disc must be hardwired to the HUB all the time. I would have the master disc in a centre of the home if possible,( using a cAT5 or cAT6 cable)
You can have more than one WiFi network in the home but you will have to manually select the WiFi you would like to connect using the device.
With more than the one Wifi network your devices will not have the advantages of the Mesh network
0 Ratings
AGT79
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

Hi - I have exact same query.  I have master disc with ethernet cable connected, and i then have two around the house linked via wifi signal...Can i add a 4th at summer house using Ethernet cable.  Did you solve this?

0 Ratings
lnajr02
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution
If its a BT Whole Home system, then Yes you can connect a 4th using an Ethernet cable. Just add using the App then move and plug in the Ethernet cable.
0 Ratings
AGT79
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

And that ethernet cable would need to go direct to the router i am guessing rather than linked to another dish?

0 Ratings