cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AeroBB
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Re: Manual DNS settings please for home hub 5

Seems this difficulty to change the DNS server IP address is prevalent across most of the BT Home Hub range.

What imho I feel is incomprensible behaviour by BT as a corporation, why can't they just be honest and straight.

As is well known right across the wider IT community changing the IP address of your DNS server is a simple task.

I started with the Chat help, who tried bless them by taking a wild stab in the dark to point me to chaning wireless channels, then directed to BT Tech Expert Helpline, again very helpful but did not know what DNS was, but then forwarded me to clearly a 3rd line person who understood the issue and candidly recommended using a third party router. (hence motivation for this post)

If having a static DNS IP address makes BT more likely to get revenue and market share then say so, but please don't hide behind a wall of technical silence.

(This is comparable to the Apple device battery life "preservation" saga)

IF BT clearly admitted that part of the deal to getting a "free" router is that you have to use BT services, including DNS, I get that.  Then people can make a value judgement about what is best for them and suits their needs.

It would also not seem that far fetched that BT would be able to monetise DNS lookup traffic, either internally or to third parties.  Again BT propose just being straight with people would enhance your reputation and brand.

The real measure of how seriously BT are going to take this will be indicated by the improved guidance issued, training of their Chat Line and Tech Expert Helplines, with the icing on the cake being the necessary steps on how to connect a 3rd party router to the BT broadband service.

BTplease advise 🙂 tia

4 REPLIES 4
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 5

Welcome to the forum.

While the lack of configuration options on the hubs is annoying to the more experienced users.  The main reason is to make things easy for the help line staff.  Besides the majority of ISP customers have very little technical knowledge and too many setting to change would cause more issues than it would solve.

The more technically able customers will use their own routers, the setting required are easily available either on the forum or simply by searching Google.

You need to keep in mind that the majority have no interest in figuring out how it all works.  They just want it to work.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

Welcome to this user forum.

BT Parental Controls and BT Protect require that the home hubs use the BT DNS servers. If consumers could change the DNS settings on the home hubs, they would lose Internet access if either of these two services were activated.

There is also the danger of  the DNS setting being changed, without the end user being aware of this.

Experienced users, that are aware of this, can use their own third party router, provided they accept that BT cannot help with any problems.

0 Ratings
AeroBB
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Thanks Liam_.  Your points are clear and well made, however your sensible view explicitly is yet to be supported by any straightforward BT statement that I have come across.  I expect BT to care about the service it is offering customers (it makes good long term business sense).  Transparency visibly demonstrates BT cares and its actions are underpinned by fairness.  Once again trank you for taking the time to respond.

0 Ratings
AeroBB
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Thanks Keith for taking the time to respond. You have confirmed that some BT offerings are reliant on the BT DNS service which I only suspected.  Unfortunately I am unable to identify where BT is being clear about this, which is the thrust of my concern.  It should not take an individual of your experience, technical knowledge and luck that you came across my original post to clarify BT positions.  The world is becoming increasingly technical and whilst it may suit some people not to gain a deeper understanding, I feel it is critical that open review and appropriate transparency is essential to protect ourselves and our society.  Peer review is an powerful safeguarding approach across all walks of life.

As to the DNS setting being changed without the end users knowledge - wow that means unauthorised access (malicious or otherwise) assuming a decent design of router.  Therefore following that logic all routers should have their DNS locked down by the firmware, that does not seem paractical and not widespread practice, otherwise the ISP's themselves and the Internet Backbone networks would have addopted this approach.

Agree with you that experienced users can take the third party router approach.  Experienced users are not born they too have to learn.  Believe it would be helpful to all if BT were to be clear about how to use their services safely, no matter which router is used (apologies for the dreadful double meaning :)).  Appreciate your views and input. Thx 

0 Ratings