cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IanS66
Message 51 of 89

Re: Wholehome firmware v1.02.06 build 11

Asking too much of them? If there are limitations to the performance of the Whole Home System then these need to be clearly stated, rather than disappointing poor unsuspecting customers.. So, what is the purpose that these are fit for?

mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 52 of 89

@IanS66wrote:

Asking too much of them? If there are limitations to the performance of the Whole Home System then these need to be clearly stated, rather than disappointing poor unsuspecting customers.. So, what is the purpose that these are fit for?

For the average customer they are absolutely fine...they create a reliable network to which I can easily connect mobile phones, tablets, a smart tv, 3 laptops...normal stuff. Probably not the best for umpteen devices, 6-way switches, homeplugs , heating systems etc, . For the average joe they’re more than adequate, for power users maybe not.

0 Ratings
Inmaterichard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 53 of 89

To suggest a smart heating system is for the power user is hilarious. I've got Smartthings and Tado Heating (same / similar to Nest). So buying those products I become a power user? Hahaha, sorry, but that's laughable. Smart heating is extremely popular generally, it's not a power user product not is Smartthings. To put your comment into perspective, on Android alone, the Tado app has been downloaded over 100 thousand times and the Samrtthings app has been downloaded over 500 thousand times. iPhone is also pretty popular, so implying potentially a million users..... Power user? A power user does not have 10 devices, they have 100s, custom configured network switches, small business and upwards, that sort of thing.

If I'm a power user, what is a medium sized business classed as, with a thousand employees? A super dooper user. Sorry bud, but it's not right to try and imply using extremely common, popular domestic products that have been on the market for a number of years makes someone a super user. "BTHW only works if you have one laptop and one phone or two laptop and no phones" 😉.

If you can buy it in John Lewis, it's probably not for a power user lol
0 Ratings
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 54 of 89

@Inmaterichardwrote:
To suggest a smart heating system is for the power user is hilarious. I've got Smartthings and Tado Heating (same / similar to Nest). So buying those products I become a power user? Hahaha, sorry, but that's laughable. Smart heating is extremely popular generally, it's not a power user product not is Smartthings. To put your comment into perspective, on Android alone, the Tado app has been downloaded over 100 thousand times and the Samrtthings app has been downloaded over 500 thousand times. iPhone is also pretty popular, so implying potentially a million users..... Power user? A power user does not have 10 devices, they have 100s, custom configured network switches, small business and upwards, that sort of thing.

If I'm a power user, what is a medium sized business classed as, with a thousand employees? A super dooper user. Sorry bud, but it's not right to try and imply using extremely common, popular domestic products that have been on the market for a number of years makes someone a super user. "BTHW only works if you have one laptop and one phone or two laptop and no phones" 😉.

I can only say they seem to work fine for me, and the new firmware seems the best yet....4 discs, no homeplugs, no switches, no complications, no condescending attitude, just all my devices connecting and working all the time...guess who’s the happy one? Best of luck with the Orbi system, hope it makes you happy 

0 Ratings
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 55 of 89

Mine work fine with hive active heating system, absolutely no issues at all, but i use ethernet backhaul for all discs apart from one disc i use to test on wifi bh in my kitchen, I personally feel that bt needed to use a dedicated channel for these discs to connect to each other, 99% problems I suspect will be down to cross modulation/bleed over causing most dropout/disconnecting issues.
It's not really fair to compare Netgear Orbi to BTWH, 2 completely differant systems really the Orbi is a router BTWH are really access points both have mesh hand offs but that is really where the comparison ends. I suspect you would need to run you virgin router in modem mode to use the virgin sh3 with the Orbi like I said completely differant systems really
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 56 of 89

@IanS66wrote:

I've tried with hub wifi off and on. No real difference to performance devices randomly drop off or show a wi-fi connection but with no internet access.

Really getting frustrated. Wife & kids now refuse to use the disk network and are staying connected directly to the hub even if it means they have to move closer to connect. I feel like I've wasted £170 on something that just doesn't work.  

If you leave your hub connected to WiFi then you definitely have wasted your money.  The two networks will compete with each other.

The best solution in these circumstances is to do a full reset of both the disks and all your devices and start again.  Disabling steering may also help. 

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 57 of 89

@Inmaterichard  I'm not trying to be rude but your setup does sound a bit 'Heath Robinson'.  However, instead of looking for a more logical way to build your network you instead blame your tools. 

You have been offered a number of solutions 'to try out' but you appear to be saying 'nothing can be changed' therefore it's the fault of WH.  As you say though, you have bought the Orbi so you no longer have an issue - right?

0 Ratings
Inmaterichard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 58 of 89

@Jim-lad. Spent months and months trying different combinations. I've always found one that worked with previous updates. But this latest firmware update has stumped me, couldn't get a network connection using on any device,
many people seem to be reporting this in another thread. Thanks who offered support 👍
0 Ratings
jrhop
Contributor
Message 59 of 89

I would agree that in the past some of the previous firmware updates have broken more things than they have fixed, but to their credit this firmware for me has fixed a lot of issues. I think they are always going to target fixing things for the more common use cases, i.e. main disc connected to router, then subsquent discs connected wirelessly and some discs providing internet/network via ethernet to non-wireless devices. Currently thats how I am using it together Honeywell smart thermostat and various other wireless devices, and all are working perfectly with the latest firmware.

They will probably get round to fixing other setups, but I know this can be extermely frustrating, especially when there is a lack of communication when there is a bug or known issues with a certain configuration. I agree that the basic things should work if thery are advertised as being possible, i.e. using the ethernet port as backhaul, but whilist this isnt a pro or super user feature it is quite uncommon in most UK homes to have them kitted out with ethernet cabling.

0 Ratings
wenklaw
Aspiring Expert
Message 60 of 89

@mikew88wrote:

@Inmaterichardwrote:

I can only say they seem to work fine for me, and the new firmware seems the best yet....4 discs, no homeplugs, no switches, no complications, no condescending attitude, just all my devices connecting and working all the time...guess who’s the happy one? Best of luck with the Orbi system, hope it makes you happy 

@mikew88

Personally its your remark i find condescending, if your setup works good for you but many (not all) are having issues, lets try and resolve them not critcise someone for having a more complex setup than you.   Keeping a home network simple is i agree the better way but sometimes it just isnt possible to do so.

Anyway I will try and make a suggestion to help.  The BTWH system should IMO have no problems with managed switches but unmanaged particulary just plain old dumb ethernet hubs can cause issues, i have had them.

I replaced my unmanaged switches for managed ones and my BTWH system is rock solid and has been since about the 2nd update many many months ago (the original firmware i did have issues with in a far more basic setup).  Now running the latest and its still rock solid, no issues.  I have smart thermostats, radiator valves, security systems, HD homerun, XBOX, run multicast, apple tv, iphones, android devices, siemens oven, warmup under floor heating wifi thermostat, nest, chromecast, smart tv, i run plex on a mac via the discs that streams remotley, i even watch BT Sport multicast channels on the youview box that is connected to a slave BTWH disc without issue (and other devices i probably havent listed)............and it all works spot on. Certain types of traffic would appear to cause issues if connected to the BTWH system via ethernet on one of the slave discs if using dumb/unmanaged hubs or switches. 

My Arlo base station which is connected via ethernet to a slave BTWH disc  still to this day wont work if i remove the managed switch that sits between my router and the primary BTWH disc. 

0 Ratings