cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Inmaterichard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 41 of 89

Re: Wholehome firmware v1.02.06 build 11

@mikew88 agree totally, I am now looking at more professional solutions, also, my mistake for leaving the auto update setting on. I put too much faith in Firmware updates being improvements rather than rolls of the dice. Great to see they're working on supporting the system, however, I would question the test bed they are using. It just can't be rigerious enough. Patching efforts rather than functional release testing. Anyway, please BT fix these issues asap or I'm going to be force to get a more Professional Solution as @mikew88 has suggested.
0 Ratings
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 42 of 89

Am I correct in saying your connecting each disk with wifi backhaul (apart from primary disc) and then using the rear Ethernet port to feed each switch?
So we are to assume that the btwh discs at some point drops connection thus your losing connection to your switches / hardwired devices.
I would recommend you send your logs over to bt.
My set up is the total reverse of the above, my discs connect with hardwired Ethernet backhaul and are used as Wi-Fi access points really but with mesh hand offs, they seem very solid across 3 story large house on build 11 i must say.
Maybe look at testing steering on/off if your Wi-Fi backhaul is failing.
I agree you should be able to use the btwh Ethernet port to feed your devices but its not ideal from my testing with previous versions of firmware.
Unclear how to roll back unless you kept one disc on old firmware but bt did say it was possible in latest firmware and I am interested to see how this is achieved myself.

0 Ratings
agaskew
Aspiring Contributor
Message 43 of 89

@Inmaterichardwrote:
@mikew88agree totally, I am now looking at more professional solutions, also, my mistake for leaving the auto update setting on. I put too much faith in Firmware updates being improvements rather than rolls of the dice. Great to see they're working on supporting the system, however, I would question the test bed they are using. It just can't be rigerious enough. Patching efforts rather than functional release testing. Anyway, please BT fix these issues asap or I'm going to be force to get a more Professional Solution as @mikew88 has suggested.

I have one disc connected directly to the Virgin router downstairs.  Upstairs, one disc is connected wirelessly.  Then I have a six-port cheap Netgear hub plugged in to the ethernet port in the disc.  Into the hub, I have two wired devices: A PC that has no wireless capability, and a Dell Thunderbolt Dock (TB16) that requires an ethernet connection.  There is no ethernet backhaul in place.

I don't think this setup is especially complicated.  Everthing works just fine, but then, I am still on Wholehome firmware v1.02.05.

0 Ratings
Inmaterichard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 44 of 89

@agaskew Do not update the firmware! It kills the Ethernet ports on the non-primary discs. I've just purchased the Netgear Orbi as I'm so tired of faffing around with the BTWH. Extremely dissapointed.

0 Ratings
agaskew
Aspiring Contributor
Message 45 of 89

@Inmaterichardwrote:

@agaskew Do not update the firmware! It kills the Ethernet ports on the non-primary discs. I've just purchased the Netgear Orbi as I'm so tired of faffing around with the BTWH. Extremely dissapointed.

Sorry to hear you've had trouble 😞

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 46 of 89

Your solution was simple - you should have connected the 6 port switch into a powerline adapter not the disks.  Pretty expensive way of solving what was a simple problem.  Oh well - enjoy your new purchase. 

0 Ratings
IanS66
Message 47 of 89

I've tried with hub wifi off and on. No real difference to performance devices randomly drop off or show a wi-fi connection but with no internet access.

Really getting frustrated. Wife & kids now refuse to use the disk network and are staying connected directly to the hub even if it means they have to move closer to connect. I feel like I've wasted £170 on something that just doesn't work.  

0 Ratings
Inmaterichard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 48 of 89

@Jim-lad, I'm using a NAS drive to stream 1080p / 4k video around the house, so power line might have a high bit rate, but they also have a huge package failure rate. Welcome to try and test them against a Mesh to see which is fastest but I believe Mesh network file transfer rates are much better in reality.

Also, that was only half the issue, I couldn't get an internet connection with or without the Switches involved.

Ipossible people have a double NAT issue, not sure, but most netowkr services will detect a double NAT.

BT have really cocked this one up.

P.S. Orbi System now up and running. Any one want to buy some BTHW discs?
0 Ratings
midget69
Message 49 of 89

Hi,
Same here, tried to get it all working since May, not reliable enough, bought orbi and BT going back as not fit for purpose!
0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 50 of 89

@Inmaterichardwrote:
@Jim-lad, I'm using a NAS drive to stream 1080p / 4k video around the house, so power line might have a high bit rate, but they also have a huge package failure rate. Welcome to try and test them against a Mesh to see which is fastest but I believe Mesh network file transfer rates are much better in reality.

Also, that was only half the issue, I couldn't get an internet connection with or without the Switches involved.

Ipossible people have a double NAT issue, not sure, but most netowkr services will detect a double NAT.

BT have really cocked this one up.

P.S. Orbi System now up and running. Any one want to buy some BTHW discs?

From the little I have gleaned from reading your posts I believe you were just asking too much of them. 

For my own usage I think I only have about 10 devices which use the disks and even then rarely are more than a couple being used at the same time. As a result I have experienced few issues whatever firmware has been in play. 

Hope your new system works for you, though reading some of the posts on their forums it appears they aren’t exactly trouble free either. 

0 Ratings