cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 31 of 89

Re: Wholehome firmware v1.02.06 build 11

I agree you shouldn't need to switch of 'steering', but as many users have reported before, Apple devices in particular do appear to have problems when steering is enabled.  Certainly I would be switching off steering if I was the poster as he's nothing to lose and appears to have a plethora of Apple products.

I was mentally working out the cost in my head which gave me a headache.  I thought for a minute Tim Cook was posting.

0 Ratings
Welshdoc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 32 of 89

Hi, has anyone had any problems with their Sonos setup since this update?

I've almost got to restart the Wholehome network everytime I want to try and control the Sonos via the iphone app.

Birzzarely, after the restarting again just now, one of my stereo pairs has chosen the disc at the other end of the house!

0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 33 of 89

@Welshdoc

We are not aware of any issues with Sonos in this release. Have you tried to reboot your router as well when rebooting the discs? I assume you had no issues before?

Dan-O
Community ModeratorDanO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Devices queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BT device queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 34 of 89

@Welshdocwrote:

Hi, has anyone had any problems with their Sonos setup since this update?

I've almost got to restart the Wholehome network everytime I want to try and control the Sonos via the iphone app.

Birzzarely, after the restarting again just now, one of my stereo pairs has chosen the disc at the other end of the house!

In my case I have found the Sonos devices to be the most stable of any.  Mine never fails and never drops a connection.  I will add though that I haven't tried using the app on my iPad as I always control it from my Android phone.

0 Ratings
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 35 of 89

One week in and everything is rock solid...all four discs and all apple devices, including my airport express which I had trouble with before, haven’t missed a beat. I kept all steering disabled on the premise that if it works like that, don’t mess with it. 

dgilbert2
Expert
Message 36 of 89

@mikew88wrote:

I kept all steering disabled on the premise that if it works like that, don’t mess with it. 

I'm definitely on that page now :smileyhappy:

0 Ratings
Inmaterichard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 37 of 89

I’m having major issues with your firmware updates.

My set up has multiple wireless devices, and multiple hardwired devices. The hardwired setup that was working before the last update is as follows:

Disc 1, connected to Switch 1.

Switch 1 is connected to:

• Sonos Play 5
  • Virgin Router
  • Smartthings Hub
  • HomeRun HD TV Tuner

Disc 2 is connected to Philips Hue hub

Disc 3 – nothing hardwired

Disc 4 – is connected to Switch 2

Switch 2 is connected to:

• NAS Server
  • Tado Hub (controls home heating)
  • Xbox One

There are many wireless devices on the network also, however, the ones mentioned above either have to be hardwired or need to be located in the centre of my home for smart home control (Zigbee etc.).

The Tado Heating Control is dependent on internal network connectivity. When your firmware updates kill the network, I have no hot water in the morning. The latest update you released, build 11, has stopped everything working. 3 times you have released updates and I’ve had to use Ethernet over power devices instead of the network ports to get things working again. You need to improve your test bench mark before releasing updates.

I want to roll back, or should I say, I need to roll back? Also, who do I talk to about a refund? They are terrible devices that work one minute and totally shutdown the next. I’ve spend hours and hours and hours attempting to solve the various network issues I’ve had over the last year following your firmware updates. The solution has ALWAYS been, remove the BT Wholehome Discs from the equation, and everything starts working again. Terrible system.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 38 of 89

@Inmaterichard  I'm a little baffled by parts of your post.  When you say the Virgin router is attached to 'switch 1' what do you mean?  For best results your first disk (Primary) should be connected 'directly' into a router which is known to be compatible with the WholeHome disks.  The wireless network on the router should then be disabled.

If I'm reading your posts correctly, you appear to have a lot of devices daisy chained to certain disks.  If true, then not an ideal setup.  For example, I have my NAS, PC etc. using the Gigabit ports on my HH router.  I have no other peripherals hard wired to the disks and for me this system is the bees knees. 

All my other devices which need to be 'hard wired' make use of a 'network switch' which in turn is connected to 'power line' adapters which then utilise one of the ports on the router.  

Inmaterichard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 39 of 89

@Jim-lad you are correct in parts. The Broadbank Routers WiFi has been switches off from the day the BT WholeHome system arrived.

Let me state one more time, yesterday, before the update, Everything worked perfectly, with no issues.  This includes connecting the Broadband Router and The Primary WholeHome Disc to a Switch. Previously, I've used the additional ports on the back of the Router in Place of a Switch, are you suggesting that using the Routers additional Ethernet Ports would be more ideal? However.....

I disconnected Switch and connected the Router and the Primary WholeHome Disc directly. This did NOT solve the issue, even after restarting the system and following various trouble shooting etc. etc.

My home has thick brick walls and the Virgin connection come in at the front of the house, not centrally. Therefore, I have to connect at least one additional Switch to one Disc within the home, for devices that CANNOT be used wirelessly. I read nowhere when purchasing the BT system that this would be an issue, and infact, when I purchased the System, the firmware at the time, had no issues with my setup.

Smart Home hubs need to be central in my home, otherwise, they will not reach all of the associated devices. I CANNOT connect the smarthome devices to the main Broadband Router for this reason.

It's great that this systems suits your needs. And I too have have to introduct Ethernet over Power decives depending on which firmware the BT WholeHome has recently released! Although I purchased the Discs so I wouldn't have to do this.

I don't see any reason why a Switch cannot be connected to a Disc's Ethernet Port, please provide small print that say that this shouldn't work.

I can't physically move the rooms in my house around to suit the most optimum netowrk configuration. I purposly purchased this system for my setup, and it worked for months, it stoped again with 1.02.05 build 10, then it was fixed again, and now its stopped working again!

Currenly I have no Switches connected and no internet connection after about 5 minutes of being powered on, that's not right.

I have borrowed the Netgear Orbi from a friend each time the BT WholeHome system firmware crashes my setup, and it works perfectly instantly. I regret my purchase, and if I could get a refund and get the Netgear solution instead, I would, however, I'd rather the BT whole home system would work CONSISTENTLY. Yesterday (build 10) fine, today (build 11) broken.

0 Ratings
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 40 of 89

@Inmaterichard Good as BTWH is, if I needed a system to run just about every appliance in my house, including the hot water, I might have looked at a more “professional” solution...no offence BT. And I certainly wouldn’t have updated from a solid working firmware until a working rollback was in place.

0 Ratings