cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 9

Register extra handset

Just replaced a 3 handset BT4500 with a new 3 handset BT4600. Can I register one of the 4500 handsets as an extra on to the new 4600 configuration?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Message 2 of 9

Re: Register extra handset

Hello @georgeandmonhunter - welcome to the Community Forum,

According to a previous thread the answer is yes you can.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 9

If you email the BT helpdesk on deviceshelpdesk@bt.com they should have the answer, it may be GAP combatable features only.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 9

Screenshot 2020-06-02 at 11.31.18.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

I had exactly the same problem.   I De-registered the  old 4500 handset using the old 4500 base unit fully connected up.  When it had successfully De-registered the 4500 handset it continued to register (or reregister) it.    This wasn't what I was expecting, it wasn't what 'the book said would happen' and it wasn't what I wanted as it was set up to the old  4500 base.   It did register it and to the new 4600 base unit although that unit was completely disconnected at the time.  It no time did I have to press the Find phone button which is part of the registering procedure.    Both the 4500 and the new 4600 have two handset units.   The reregistered 4500 handset is now number 3 - so it has got that right.   Part of the  registration process is when 'The handset will then synchronize data with any other registered handsets, e.g. contacts, speed dials'.    This has not  happened.    The new 4600 handsets have the phone numbers of 40 contacts stored.   The old 4500 reregistered handset does not have any contact numbers stored.    (I can both make and receive calls via the old 4500 handset.)     Does anyone know how to get those contacts stored in the new 4600 handsets into the old 4500 handset?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 9

@JohnKeeleywrote:

I had exactly the same problem.   I De-registered the  old 4500 handset using the old 4500 base unit fully connected up.  When it had successfully De-registered the 4500 handset it continued to register (or reregister) it.    This wasn't what I was expecting, it wasn't what 'the book said would happen' and it wasn't what I wanted as it was set up to the old  4500 base.   It did register it and to the new 4600 base unit although that unit was completely disconnected at the time.  It no time did I have to press the Find phone button which is part of the registering procedure.    Both the 4500 and the new 4600 have two handset units.   The reregistered 4500 handset is now number 3 - so it has got that right.   Part of the  registration process is when 'The handset will then synchronize data with any other registered handsets, e.g. contacts, speed dials'.    This has not  happened.    The new 4600 handsets have the phone numbers of 40 contacts stored.   The old 4500 reregistered handset does not have any contact numbers stored.    (I can both make and receive calls via the old 4500 handset.)     Does anyone know how to get those contacts stored in the new 4600 handsets into the old 4500 handset?

@JohnKeeley 

A few suggestions which may help:

First, see if any other forum subscribers reply here having  overcome this issue when trying to integrate 4600 and 4500 handsets;

Second, it might be worth you starting a new thread with BT 4500 and 4600 Handset Compatibility in the title, potentially drawing out advice for this very specific issuee;

Finally, try the BT device helpdesk email (details posted earlier in this thread by @lnajr02). it might just be that the question has been raised before and the answer resides in their database of solutions.

Assuming compatibility between handsets is as expected, my guess would be this is a sequencing issue and it's a case of getting the registration steps in the right order. But there are quite a few permutations with 4 handsets and multiple steps potentially making trial and error very long-winded.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Thank you Longshanks0511, I will certainly try the two suggestions you make, assuming the first isn't successful.

JohnKeeley.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Dear Longshanks,

As suggested in you reply, I contacted the BT Helpdesk and think I have the answer!   It is compatible - to some extent  -  in that calls can be made and received and the handset will ring for incoming calls.    It is unlikely that any further features will be available, and in my case they aren't.

A requirement for compatibility was that both units had to be GAP compatible.    A quick check on definitions showed that GAP had nine  different telecommunication meanings!    Not too helpful.     At this point I gave up and am assuming both are GAP compatible especially as the later phone is an updated version of the earlier one.

Thank you for you helpful suggestions .

JohnKeeley.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 9

@JohnKeeley 

Thank you for the update - always helpful when it comes to other forum users looking for a solution to the same issue.

I am glad you have made some progress, even if a definitive answer has proved evasive!

0 Ratings