Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AndreaM
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Remove Whole Home Password

Go to solution

Can someone please tell me how I completely remove the need for a password on this device? I was able to find the setting to change the password but it wants me to provide another one with at least 8 characters. I don't want a password at all.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Remove Whole Home Password

Go to solution

Hi AndreaM,

Are you looking to remove the Wireless Password or the Admin password?

If the Admin, then this can't be done.

For the Wireless Password, you will need to go to the Web GUI (http://mybtdevice.home) to do this.

Once logged on, go to Settings -> Wi-Fi -> Security Mode -> None

We don't recommend using this option, as it allows for anyone to access your Home Network.

What is the reason for not wanting a password, in case there is an alternative/secure option we could recommend.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
AndreaM
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks so much for this advice. 

You asked why anyone would want to do this but I live very remotely and we often have family or guests who use the connection for a short time and I don't want to keep having to look out a password. There's no question of anyone else being able to use it.

0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Hi AndreaM,

I'm glad I could help.

However, a better option would be to enable the Guest Wi-Fi  (which can be done from the web interface or App).  You can then choose to set no password on the Guest Wi-Fi, and keep your main Wi-Fi network secure.

Many Thanks

Darren_B

AndreaM
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Thank you for this advice. However, does that not come to the same thing? Anyone could then tap into the Guest WiFi. The only purpose for a Guest Wifi connection that I can see is that you don't have to divulge your own password to others but since I don't have one it doesn't really matter in my case.

I suspect you are more talking about the danger of being hacked but I have a Mac so am not so concerned about that possibility. What benefit would a password-free guest wifi give me that is not available at the moment? Is there any particular danger that I am exposing myself to by having my main network unprotected (other than the obvious danger from hackers which doesn't apply given the remoteness of where I live). Can hacking be done remotely at a long distance from someone's home? I don't have any other equipment using my wifi network other than a smart TV.

0 Ratings
Palazzo13
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Guest networks also normally don't allow connected devices to connect to other devices on the network, just to the internet.

So, if you make your main network open, someone could potentially browse file severs, or folders shared from your computers, so making just the Guest network available removes that risk.

Edit... actually found this link: https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Devices/BT-Whole-Home-Guest-Network/td-p/1812950 which explains abit more about the way Guest devices are segregated.

0 Ratings
AndreaM
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Thank you. I'll have a good look at the linked article you provided.

0 Ratings
Beano1
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Hi - I'm having difficulty setting up the Guest Wi-Fi with no password as mentioned above.

Has anyone else achieved this?

0 Ratings
Beano1
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

I managed to do this in the end using the web interface but couldn't do it through the app

0 Ratings