Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jewells1
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Rename ssid of Premium to same as standard Whole Home

Go to solution

Hi, I am looking to swap out my standard whole home disks for a set of Premiums, now that the latest firmware have fixed the stability issues. I have over 50 devices on the existing network and I dont relish the task of changing each one to a new ssid and password. How easy is it to set up the premium primary disk and change its ssid and password to the old Whole Home one. Then sync the satellite disks to the primary. Any likely problems. Thanks.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
lnajr02
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Rename ssid of Premium to same as standard Whole Home

Go to solution
You can change the SSID using the App. The only limitations are password strength but I think it's the same as BT
Latest Hubs.
Jewells1
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution
As simple as that. Thanks
0 Ratings
lnajr02
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution
If you do change to the hub remember to turn the hubs WiFi off after so your devices connect to the Whole Home system or your devices could remain connected to the hubs WiFi and not move.
0 Ratings
Jewells1
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

I use a TP-Link AC2800 router now as my HH6 was playing up.

I leave the wifi on as a backup for when the standard Whole Home is misbehaving.

I will connect the new primary premium disk to the router and check I can connect to it ok.

Then I will switch off all the standard disks and rename the premium ssid and password to the same as the old standard Whole Home.

I will then check I can connect to that ok and finally bring online the additional premium disks (6 of them). I will then update to latest firmware and reboot the new system.  Maybe better to take it slowly and update each disk firmware as I connect each one as I know running 7 disks can cause instability. ( My old Whole Home runs 7 and is pretty stable) 

If it all goes wrong I can reinstate the standard disk system and wait until the premiums firmware has been truly sorted.

I have used your method before for syncing the disks without using the app.

Thanks

0 Ratings
lnajr02
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution
You can't mix whole Home Gen 1 and Premium on the same network. So only one powered up at any one time.
0 Ratings
Jewells1
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

I know you cant mix, and hence why I switch off the old units before I change the ssid. However I assume I could have 2 separate mesh systems with different ssids if I was daft enough or needed to run 14 disks. 😂

0 Ratings
Jewells1
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Maybe I couldnt run 2 separate networks as the router may get mightily confused but I am not doing that anyway.

0 Ratings
lnajr02
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution
No you can't run whole home Gen 1 and Premium from the same Hub it's unstable. I have been told some customers have 8 discs all whole home Gen 1, but you can't currently have more. That's what I have been told
0 Ratings