Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
goldmankind
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Router security Vulnerable to Hackers

Hi I am concenrened about the security of the BT Hub 6  which i use and also the Hub 5 which my son uses. 

Last week my son was subjected to a cyber attack which he reported to BT  and BT virtually dismissed the issue  saying it was one of many Phishing emails  claiming to have hacked his router  and quoting reference CVE  with a series of numbers. So to be safe I reset his router and formatted the Computer and reinstalled software to be safe.

While trying out an alternative to the BT virus protect security, that to be honest doesnt seem to protect much of anything and the Windows Defender seems to pick up any attacks first. I decided to try out the Avast premier security which reported a wrongly configured router  again quoting the CVE code and saying the router is vulnerable to attack through port 53.  saying that using a VPN will make this data secure as its encrypted. Making the data secure isnt the solution which i will now have to do by using a VPN to connect all the time.

Why are BT supplying me with a Router which isnt secure, and why are customers being told the router is secure when it isnt.  This makes me now think that I should be switching to a different more secure brand of router if the service works with other brands

Im in a situation now that i dont even feel safe to connect to the internet incase my private personal data is compromised.

Peter

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Gary_C
Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Re: Router security Vulnerable to Hackers

0 Ratings
goldmankind
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Hi Gary

Not sure wether i would want to believe that there isnt a security risk so for the time being I decided to switch to the HUB 5 which doesnt give a warning message on Avast

0 Ratings
Gary_C
Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Not a hub I've Got, just referring to a thread where it looks as if it was discussed in deta
0 Ratings