cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 6

Run each disc on ethernet?

Hi 👋🏻

I have 3 discs running down my long corridor, one is connected to the router, the other two over wifi.

This setup is running perfectly, however when the door is closed from the master disc, the performance on the other two slightly decreases.

I want to run a Cat6a ethernet cable to the second disc and wanted to know if this would work fine or would I run into any issues? Could I also run another ethernet cable to the third disc having all three discs connected via ethernet for maximum wifi speeds?

All discs will be directly connected to the router.

Thanks
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Run each disc on ethernet?

Hi  @musg,yes you can do that. But to be clear, the Ethernet cables need to go from each Disc back to your main router; not back to a Disc (eg you can't do a wired daisy chain).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 6

I have a three disc set up.

The first is connected to the main router, which in turn is connected to a powerline adaptor.

The second connects to the first disc over wifi.

The third disc I had connected via ethernet to a 10 port switch which was also connected to a powerline adaptor.

I had thought that the third disc would therefore connect to the router/first disc via the ethernet connection. However, on examining the information shown in the app, the third disc is actually connecting over wifi.

How would I get the third disc to connect over ethernet - does it have to be direct through a the powerline adaptor rather than via the switch?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

I think from @BrunoN post you need to connect disc by Ethernet direct to hub

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 5 of 6

@theboyjbwrote:

I have a three disc set up.

The first is connected to the main router, which in turn is connected to a powerline adaptor.

The second connects to the first disc over wifi.

The third disc I had connected via ethernet to a 10 port switch which was also connected to a powerline adaptor.

I had thought that the third disc would therefore connect to the router/first disc via the ethernet connection. However, on examining the information shown in the app, the third disc is actually connecting over wifi.

How would I get the third disc to connect over ethernet - does it have to be direct through a the powerline adaptor rather than via the switch?

In your first sentence, not sure if you mean that your powerline is plugged into your main router or into your first disc?

If you mean your first disc, then it won't work. You can't have a daisy chain of discs on Ethernet port.

If you mean it's plugged into your router, then I know that other people on this forum have successfully been able to connect a far away disc back to their router through poweline, so it should work. But I have no experience of it myself. It's not trully a properly supported scenario, but it doesn't mean that it's not possible. Others may be able to advise.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 6 of 6

I have one disc in my setup connected in a similar fashion.

Disc is connected to a Netgear GS908E Hub, Hub is connected to the router via Netgear powerline. That certainly connects via Ethernet rather than Wi-fi.

What switch are you using as there appears to be issues with some versions of the Netgear managed switch. Have you tried connecting it directly to the Powerline adapter?

0 Ratings