cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

SH2 New Firmware Query

Since My Smart Hub 2 updated to latest firmware on March 31st I have had a few issues affecting two amazon echo devices , a 3rd gen dot and 2nd gen echo plus, and also a Ring Video Doorbell 2nd generation.

Both echo devices are sluggish responding to any voice commands and sometimes don't even respond at all.

The Ring Video doorbell 2nd gen is now unable to get a live video stream.

All of these were not an issue pre-update so I can only assume the new SH2 firmware is possibly the root cause as that is the only thing that has changed.

I have always had smart set-up disabled on the SH2 and manually set the wifi channels for both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands.

I have already tried rebooting the router and complete wifi disc but the problem still remains.

I am keen to ascertain if others are facing similar issues and if there is a solution.

Cheers

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: SH2 New Firmware Query

I had the firmware update on 30  March with no problems on my echo devices or my fire sticks but it did cause my SKYQ main box and minis to drop WiFi connection  I had to reconnect the main SKYQ and once set up then do the same to my 3 mini boxes

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 9

Thanks for the reply.

Do you think it worthwhile to factory reset both the hub and disc to see if that will help?

Cheers

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

If I was having problems and could not seem to make any progress then my next step would be a factory reset to ensure firmware update installed correctly

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 9

I called BT Tech support about this. They ran several line tests and concluded that there appeared to be an issue as my line speed had also dropped by a few meg and the hub failed the wireless test they ran from their end.

They added that the dropouts only started happening on April 1st which coincided when my hub had the new firmware updated. They checked and concluded that the firmware could perhaps have corrupted the router.

If this is the case then this is the first time a firmware update has had a negative impact on my home setup.

I have already tried factory resetting the hub but the issue is still present.

Interestingly in the 30 days before the firmware update which is as far back as they can check I am led to believe there was not a single dropout.

Looks very much like the new updated firmware has had a bad impact on  my router. They are sending me a replacement hub and also an open reach engineer later this week to look at any line issues.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

That's exactly whats's happened to my broadband connection with my SH2 - I'm guaranteed to get at least 43mbs down but since the new firmware install on the 3rd April I now only get about 40, it has definitely had a detrimental effect on the router. When I spoke to BT about it just now I was fobbed off saying its probably just a busy time of day - couldn't be bothered to argue the toss - cheers BT

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

@Jg74 

start your own thread and then post some information

please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Seriously? how is that going to help - Firmware has affected my router and you're asking me to test the line?

Also, please don't assume everyone hosts their router on a 192.168.1/24 network.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

@Jg74 

Up to you if you post stats from your router but a drop of 3mb in connection speed could easily recover at next reset

0 Ratings