Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
midlife
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Set up Home Wifi

Go to solution

well after all these months of having the home wifi I have just set it up. The help in a previous thread were totally accurate and it was easy to set up and does what it says on the tin. Very happy with it at present and no loss of speed and it now covers the whole of my house ranging from +70mb to about 30.

I have new questions:

1. advice on here is to turn off the smart hub but as the first whole wifi hub is connected to the smart hub wont that stop them from working?
  2. my BT TV is connected to the smart hub and also my link on 2 TVs to Now TV if I turn off the smart hub what happends to them?
  3. also how do I change the password on the whole wifi set up and will doing it for one do it for all three?
  4. finally and I know I am getting my moneys worth, if I purchase a 4th home hub can I get the same password and admin password? I am trying to see if I can get to some outbuilding I have!!!

Thank you from an ignorant technophob (is that a word)

Graham

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Paul_31
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Set up Home Wifi

Go to solution

@midlifewrote:

well after all these months of having the home wifi I have just set it up. The help in a previous thread were totally accurate and it was easy to set up and does what it says on the tin. Very happy with it at present and no loss of speed and it now covers the whole of my house ranging from +70mb to about 30.

I have new questions:

1. advice on here is to turn off the smart hub but as the first whole wifi hub is connected to the smart hub wont that stop them from working?
  2. my BT TV is connected to the smart hub and also my link on 2 TVs to Now TV if I turn off the smart hub what happends to them?
  3. also how do I change the password on the whole wifi set up and will doing it for one do it for all three?
  4. finally and I know I am getting my moneys worth, if I purchase a 4th home hub can I get the same password and admin password? I am trying to see if I can get to some outbuilding I have!!!

Thank you from an ignorant technophob (is that a word)

Graham

I’m new to the Whole Home Wi-fi myself having only installed it last week, but I think I can answer some of your questions.

1: I think the advice some give is to turn off only the Wi-fi on the SmartHub, NOT the hub itself. That’s what I’ve done as it supposedly reduces the chances of conflicting Wi-fi channels.

2: As answer 1 - leave the hub switched, just turn off the Wi-fi on it. If the other devices are connected via Ethernet to the SmartHub they’ll work, if not you’ll need to connect them to the Whole Home network

3: You can change the Wi-fi and admin passwords using the mobile app. Launch the app and the options to make these changes are under the settings tab.

4.  I assume you are talking about buying an extra disk? If you buy an extra disk and follow the installation instructions I think part of the process includes initially plugging the new disk into the SmartHub, whereby it adopts the password details from the existing disks.

If I’ve got any of this wrong hopefully one of the regulars on here will advise.

midlife
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Thank you, will check the back of the smart hub and see where to turn off wifi and then reset BT TV and Now to the whole wifi. However at present seems to be working well.

really appreciate your help

0 Ratings
Paul_31
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

You turn off the Wi-fi by logging into the router at this address in a web browser (these are the login details for a SmartHub 6): http://192.168.1.254 Once logged in you’ll need to click on Advanced Settings where you’ll be prompted for the admin password from the card at the back of the router. From there it should be clear. Obviously all devices that connected via Wi-fi to the original SmartHub Wi-fi network will now need to be connected to the new whole Home network.

0 Ratings
B1998
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
About your point 2. I assume your BT TV is connected to your Smart Hub via an ethernet cable, not via wifi? If so there's no reason to move it to your whole home wifi; just leave it as it is if it works.