cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sabino
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 31

Re: Smart Devices Only Work on 2.4 GHz

Strangely, 1st thing this morning, before the helpline opened, I tried "creating" a 2.4 GHz signal. But found it virtually impossible to achieve. It kept reverting to 5 GHz or disappearing.

I then rung BT help. Who told me it would be impossible. They suggested I try to switch off 5 GHz on my Virgin Hub.

I did that, but couldn't get it to work.

I then phoned Virgin and they created a 2.4 network alongside my 5 GHz. But told me it might still cause problems. And it did. It was flakey.

Finally I decided to try puting my old Netgear hub back on, in addition to the BT hub.

I now had a VM 5 GHz a VM 2.4 GHz and  2.4 and 5 GHz networks from my Netgear.

I am using the Netgear 2.4 network for my smart switches and lights. All are working well.

I will probably call up VM and have them remove their 2.4 if I have any issues.

I will add further information to this thread if I make any changes.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
IanD2
Contributor
Message 12 of 31

Hi there I have exactly the same problem with Sonoff Smart Wifi plugs that just arrived today.

I have a 6 disc whole home set up all working fine. When I try and add one of the smart plugs to the network it says with an alert "2.4 ghz only" on the app. The app is 'eWeLink', running on Android.

On other forums, it says to disable the 5ghz network while I install, then to re-enable it, but I can't do this on the BT whole Home.

Later I'll try and find a location far enough away from any whole home disc to hopefully only pick up the 2.4ghz network.

Was relying on these plugs to switch the Xmas tree lights on !

Any help appreciated.

IAN D.

0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 13 of 31

Hi, if your main router offers the capability to switch off bands individually (BT Home Hub allows it if you browse to its web interface at bthomehub.home), then you could maybe try to temporarily connect your phone to it to set-up your smart plug, then come back to whole home?
Hope this works for you.
Community ModeratorBrunoN
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Devices queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BT device queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
IanD2
Contributor
Message 14 of 31

Hi Bruno thanks very much for the reply. 

I found similar advice this afternoon on another website.

I re-enabled the wifi on my BT Smart Hub, turned off the 5ghz network, and renamed if to the same as my wholehome SSID/password.

Then turned off my wholehome wifi, and used the newly named router wifi network to set up the smart plugs. All worked very easily.

Then turned the wifi off on the BT Smart Hub (having reverted it to its previous SSID and password)  and switched the Wholehome back on.

All 3 SMART Plugs are working on the Wholehome Wifi. Suprisingly simple in the end but really shouldn't have to do this. Simple to me, but other less techy folk will struggle to resolve this.

BT, think you need to sort this out somehow, as seems quite common that SMART devices only work on 2.4ghz.

IAN D.

0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 15 of 31

@Sabinoand @IanD2; it looks like there's a way round as described by IanD2 above. I hope that gets you going - and others reading this - in the short term.

Regarding a more permanent solution, it seems from what you're experiencing that those Smart devices can't cope well with routers that support dual-band on the same network name. It seems to me that it's something they'll have to improve themselves rather than router manufacturers being able to do anything about it. I'm not sure why they have that limitation since all routers support 2.4GHz, so those Smart devices ought to be able to simply connect and ignore the 5GHz band.

There are many Smart devices on the market that support 2.4GHz only and they have no problem connecting to dual-band networks.

Having said this, let me talk to the team to see if we can contact those companies and find out what's going on and if it's something we can fix on our side.

Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Devices queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BT device queries. Go here for more info.
Sabino
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 31

@BrunoN
With respect, I mentioned more than once that I don't have a BT Hub.
I have to disagree with you that the problem is with the Smart devices. The problem is with the BT Whole Home system not being able to offer a solution.
Many thanks
0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 17 of 31

Hi again @Sabino. The workaround mentioned by myself and @IanD2 should work regardless of which router you have. Most offer this ability to split and switch-off bands individually. Were you able to try that on your own router to get you going?

Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
0 Ratings
Sabino
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 31

@BrunoN
Please read message 11 in this thread.
Thanks
0 Ratings
Highlighted
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 19 of 31

Hi again @Sabino, yes got that.

What I was trying to say is that IanD2's solution advises to change your router's network name to the same as Whole Home Wifi, then configure your Smart plug, then change it back to its original settings. You could do this to your Netgear system, so that once it's configured, you can switch it off and only use Whole Home Wifi like before. Your smart plugs will then automatically connect to Whole Home Wi-Fi without a problem. This  is actually the advice that is on the FAQ of these Smart manufacturers, so it seems to be a common issue.

The problem isn't that the Whole Home Wif-Fi can't support 2.4GHz devices (it definitely CAN), the problem is that those Smart plugs seem to have a problem connecting to networks which use the same name for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. Using same network name is quite common, especially for Mesh systems like Whole Home where the whole point is about having a single network. Many Smart devices only support 2.4GHz like these plugs and have no problem connecting.

I've passed on to the team to see if it would be appropriate to have this option in future on Whole Home Wi-Fi to switch off individual bands. But that will always seems to me like a workaround to solve someone else's problem. But in meantime, at least it seems there is a workaround today already.

Have you tried contacting your Smart plug manufacturer as they might have an improvement to their set-up coming, or an App update?

Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
Shawy2018
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 31

@IanD2Really sorry to bother you again but I was just hoping you clarify something for me.

In your solution you give the first instruction you mention is this:

"I re-enabled the wifi on my BT Smart Hub, turned off the 5ghz network, and renamed if to the same as my wholehome SSID/password."

Could you advise me on what you have renamed? I understand that the renaming is done on the original router and NOT the Whole Home system. What I don't understand is are you renaming the 5ghz or the 2.4ghz. I'm guessing its the 5ghz but wanted to check.

Your help is very much appreciated. Steve.

0 Ratings