cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DeanLaw
Message 1 of 31

Smart Devices Only Work on 2.4 GHz

hi can i disable the 5 GHz network on my bt meshed network  BT whole Home  to avoid prblems with my smart devices on amy smart home devices that only work on 2.4 ghz network

0 Ratings
30 REPLIES 30
Sabino
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 31

Re: Smart Devices Only Work on 2.4 GHz

Did you ever resolve the issue. I have just received a BT Whole Home and have 2 smart lights and 2 smart sockets that no longer work because they need 2.4 GHz.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 31

@Sabino

@DeanLaw has not been back on the forum since 22/04/18 so you may be better starting your own thread.

I would have assumed that both 2.4GHz and 5GHz  woild be available, otherwise it would be useless.

Fromhttps://www.shop.bt.com/learnmore/bt-branded-products-and-services/bt-whole-home-wi-fi/

Tech specifications

The three discs might be small, but their four built-in 2.4GHz and 5GHz antennas pack a mighty AC2600 wireless punch.
One network, no loss of signal. Three 2400 11ac Wi-Fi repeaters give the strongest coverage you can get.

23-04-
0 Ratings
Sabino
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 31

That's great. How did you do that? I can't find a way.
0 Ratings
Sabino
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 31

Sorry, I replied in error. I'm out, and tried to reply too quickly. Thanks.
0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 6 of 31

Not sure what you mean? What's the problem you're trying to solve?

Whole Home Wi-Fi supports both 2.4 and 5GHz.
If your devices only support 2.4, that's okay. They'll only connect on that band. The 5GHz band on Whole Home doesn't need to be disabled (which is why it doesn't have an option to do this).
Community ModeratorBrunoN
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Devices queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BT device queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
Sabino
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 31

My devices just say that they cannot connect because it isn't 2.4
0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 8 of 31

Ok, weird one.

Are you able to send a few screenshots of the steps you use on your smart devices to connect to wi-fi?

Do you see several "BTWholeHome" networks in the list that you can connect to? Have you tried them all?

Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Devices queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BT device queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
Sabino
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 31

Thanks for getting back to me.

I have taken a few shots to work through how I use the eFamily app to set up devices.

There is still one device working (because I have not touched it since getting the 3 Disc WholeHome).

My BT WholeHome network is now "A&M HQ". For easy identification.

The others are either from our Virginmedia hub (which we ignore) or various neighbours networks.

I never see a choice of BT Wholehome which wold allow 2.4 Ghz.

Once again, thanks

Screenshot_20181125-101215.pngScreenshot_20181125-101308.pngScreenshot_20181125-101341.pngScreenshot_20181125-101405.pngScreenshot_20181125-101418.png

0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 10 of 31

Hi again. Thanks for the screenshots; it helps picture the problem - pardon the pun!

I'm not familiar with the eFamily app, so can only suggest a couple of ideas:

- From your screenshots, it seems that the eFamily app is assuming you want to use the same wi-fi network that your phone is using? Is that correct? If so, is there a way you could somehow force your phone to move to 2.4GHz band, then maybe that would let you install it. To do so, power off all the discs except the one plugged into your router, then move away from it as far as you can. As 5GHz range is shorter than 2.4Ghz, there maybe a point your phone will switch to 2.4GHz. Sorry it's a bit touch and go, but that's all I can suggest if that's what this App does.

- Create a new post on this forum with "eFamily and whole home compatibility" in the title. That may trigger someone more familiar with it to respond.

- If your problematic devices are static (which I guess they would be if they're smart socket), AND assuming they're in wi-fi range of your Virgin router, you could try connecting them to your VM router instead and not use Whole Home for them. You won't lose out since they're not moving.

Hope this helps.

Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
0 Ratings