cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SteveCoops
Message 1 of 5

Smart Hub 2 2.4/5 GHz

Go to solution

Hi just updated to smart hub 2, on previous hub you could split 2.4 and 5GHz and see the different networks as the name would have -5 next to it for the 5GHz option.

On the new hub I know the option is not there so I have turned off 5GHz as some of my devices, smart plugs etc, only work on 2.4.

If I tiun on 5GHz how does the network know how to allocate correctly say for the plugs that only want 2.4.

Obviously I am not technical just need direction to what happens if I left 5GHz on.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Smart Hub 2 2.4/5 GHz

Go to solution

It is the device that connects to the router.

If a device is only 2.4Ghz enabled it will only "see" that network and not the 5Ghz one so it can only connect to the 2.4Ghz network and will do it automatically after the password has been entered.

If the device can see both the 5Ghz and the 2.4Ghz it will connect to which ever signal is the strongest and should change automatically between signals if required.

SteveCoops
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution
Thanks for the info, I will turn on and see what happens (nothing different hopefully)
0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Hi @SteveCoops, fyi, there's another thread about people having problems with some Smart plugs that return an error during set-up "only support 2.4GHz". Even though 2.4 band is available, they seem to get confused by the fact there's a 5GHz band there with same name.

If you get that problem, you simply need to temporarily switch off 5GHz on your Hub, set-up those plugs, then switch 5GHz back on.

Hope this helps.

BT Device ExpertBruno
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the thumbs up next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Devices queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BT device queries. Go here for more info.
SteveCoops
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
Thanks I have already set everything up and all plugs and Sky Q and Harmony Hub are working so will now switch on 5GHz today.
0 Ratings