Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Sammk6
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Smart Hub 2 Disc and BT TV

Go to solution

Am I still correct in thinking the new smart hub 2 discs will not support multicast so I can not use to plug in an additional youview box? 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
StefanMc
Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Re: Smart Hub 2 Disc and BT TV

Go to solution
I have the BT Whole Wi-fi system which is different from the BT Pus complete Wi-fi guarantee, essentially the black discs. But, I can offer this insight:
I have my youview box set up with one of the BT discs (Whole Home) and multicast channels work flawlessly. Further, I have been advised that the Whole Home six’s should support multicast as it coverts these packets to unicat over Wi-fi and then subsequently back to multicast so that it supports multicast BTTV. By using these information, I would think it would be logical to assume that the complete Wi-fi guarantee( black discs) should also support multicast.

0 Ratings
Sammk6
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution
That’s great thanks, is this something you have had to configure yourself or has it been in a firmware update so that it now supports BT TV? Everything I search comes up with people saying it doesn’t work and when I phoned BT yesterday they weren’t too sure themselves.
0 Ratings
StefanMc
Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Could you please elaborate on what you mean by "plugging in an additonal youview box?" Do you have multiroom from BT or are you just plugging an additional box for things such as catch up etc? 

One piece of advice I would give is that the disc to which my Youview box is connected has a strong signal from my main disc, which I believe helps to main a flawless picture on multicast channels. So in your case, the disc which you are connecting your additonal box to must have a stong signal with your Smart Hub 2.

Intially, I did contact the BT Whole Home helpdesk, who advised that multicast wasn't supported. I, however, tested this out and found that it did support multicast. Subsequent to this, I receieved this response from BT, "The Whole Home Wi-Fi discs are designed to work with multicast traffic, by converting it into unicast traffic over the Wi-Fi then back to multicast. This enables services using multicast streaming that are connected to the system to continue to work as normal.​"

Additionally, I have read about another user successfully using multicast over these dics on another forum page.

Just to add, I did not configure anything. Simply, I purchased the Whole Home Kit and updated the firmware to Build 12 and ever since have been using the BTTV box connected to disc by an ethernet couples with no issues.

Sammk6
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

That’s great thanks very much for the info, I think I’ll order it and try. 

To expand yes I have BT multi room the first box is connected directly to the hub and the second (upstairs) currently using the BT plug in mini connectors which I wanted to get rid of ideally and put the disc next to it instead. 

0 Ratings