Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
gibbylinks
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 10

Smart Hub 2 & Device Names

I have a couple of android devices where I have successfully assigned IP addresses, however I can't change the device names.

I have changed the names on other devices with no problems.

I've also tried to do this with Firefox, Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome browsers, none of which worked.

Annotation 2018-12-17 094801.jpg

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Smart Hub 2 & Device Names

Can you confirm that you have given the devices static addresses on the devices themselves?

I have the same problem with a printer if so.

0 Ratings
gibbylinks
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 10

@licquoricewrote:

Can you confirm that you have given the devices static addresses on the devices themselves?

I have the same problem with a printer if so.

No devices are set for DCHP. I never set any static addresses on my devices, just in case anything screws up on the router.

I've had this happen in the past and not been able to get access to the device, left having to do factory reset.

I prefer to have the router hand out the addresses.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

I think it is an Android "thing". You have to root the Android device so that you can change the embedded name or if you would rather not do that if you give it a fixed IP address on your router you may be able to change it on the router.

EDIT: Just noticed that you have given the devices a fixed IP address on the router.

Have you tried changing the wireless/bluetooth name on the device by going to Settings > About Phone > Device name. 

0 Ratings
gibbylinks
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 10

@gg30340wrote:

I think it is an Android "thing". You have to root the Android device so that you can change the name or if you would rather not do that if you give it a fixed IP address on your router you may be able to change it on the router.

If that was the case I wouldn't have been able to change my other Android devices none of them rooted. I have 4 devices,  and 3 running 8.1 and one on 7.1. I have managed to rename the 7.1 and one of the 8.1, and one is a tablet and one a phone.  Twiglet zone...

Annotation 2018-12-17 135324.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Just been having a play with my Android phone which I hadn't bothered to rename from default. Are you by any chance trying to use an apostrophe in the name? It seems though apostrophe's aren't allowed but the interface doesn't barf like it does with other illegal characters.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

@gg30340 wrote:

I think it is an Android "thing". You have to root the Android device so that you can change the embedded name or if you would rather not do that if you give it a fixed IP address on your router you may be able to change it on the router.

I think the hub takes the information from the device when it first connects but then the label in the hub can be changed to anything and it just looks for the MAC address of the device rather than any other information. The HUB network map is flaky in the extreme in any case, it sometimes picks up the information from devices, sometimes just the MAC address. There are also problems with what IP address it thinks a device has. Even the editing is not consistent, sometimes changes can be made but not saved and at other times it is not even possible to make any changes.

gibbylinks
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 10

@licquoricewrote:

Just been having a play with my Android phone which I hadn't bothered to rename from default. Are you by any chance trying to use an apostrophe in the name? It seems though apostrophe's aren't allowed but the interface doesn't barf like it does with other illegal characters.

It's not allowing me to delete what is already in the "name" box, nor enter anything new.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

There seems to be 2 different problems with the renaming. I have the same problem as you with a Canon printer that doesn't allow any changes to be made and a problem with renaming with an apostrophe that allows the changes to be made, and supposedly saved, but doesn't actually save the changes. The hub team are aware of the former and are investigating, and have been made aware of the latter.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

@licquorice

I believe this renaming issue exists on all of the home hubs, and is a restriction within the internal CLI, where internal labels have to conform to a certain format. It could cause some spectacular crashes on the original home hub 1 if you entered them in wrong.

Some of the earlier home hubs did not have proper error checking within the hub manager (web interface), and it was possible to enter names that would generate an internal CLI error, which was not actually reflected back to the user.

Things like spaces in device names, and certain invalid characters now appear to be prevented from being saved to the internal system.ini file. This is a good thing as it avoids possible unpredictable results, but it should really tell the user that the input is invalid.

I spent a lot of time playing with the CLI via telnet, and still have copies of the old system.ini files. These also reveal why the DHCP server on the home hubs has problems.

0 Ratings