cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 51 of 58

Re: Smart Hub 2 & WiFi Disc Location

Sounds like your not connected to the disc. 

Log onto your hub advance-wireless and click the disc tab, are any devices listed as connected

0 Ratings
himonster
Contributor
Message 52 of 58

Yeah my phone and laptop are connected to the disc now from what it says in the hub settings. 

The Network Signal app on my phone seems to only see the smart hub though and the distance/signal to that. 

Hasn't improved speed at all. I can go in the bedroom on the landing which is close to both the smart hub and the disc and still only hit 40mb of my 64mb top speed. Defeating the option of having a disc as I can get 40mb+ without a disc.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 53 of 58

@himonsterwrote:

Yeah my phone and laptop are connected to the disc now from what it says in the hub settings. 

The Network Signal app on my phone seems to only see the smart hub though and the distance/signal to that. 

Hasn't improved speed at all. I can go in the bedroom on the landing which is close to both the smart hub and the disc and still only hit 40mb of my 64mb top speed. Defeating the option of having a disc as I can get 40mb+ without a disc.

If you can't see the disc on the mobile app then I suspect that both nodes (the hub and disc) have been grouped together under the SSID, in which case you should be able to expand the group to show both nodes

0 Ratings
Message 54 of 58

@himonster,@Anonymous ,

Stand next to the disk with your phone (upstairs).

Power down the phone, and power up. Does it now connect to the disc??

0 Ratings
himonster
Contributor
Message 55 of 58

It was connecting to the disc yes. It's more the fact I expected my top speed all around the house, but I'm not getting that even in the room next door to the disc.

0 Ratings
Message 56 of 58

@himonster ,

OK so it's working as expected then.

A device, e.g. your mobile, will connect to the fastest channel, e.g. 5GHz if  the signal strength is sufficient. It will maintain the 5GHz connection as you move around the house until the signal weakens : then the connection will flip to 2.4GHz and remain at that (until even the 2.4 GHz signal is lost).  As for which it connects to at that 2.4 GHz - disc or hub - will depend on proximity.

This seems to be a weakness in the Complete Wi-fi and Disc system:- It's good for stationary devices, e.g.  pcs , laptops. There's a problem with the mobile if you wander completely out of range, e.g. in the garden, then you are stuck with 2.4 GHz until you restart it.

You may need to reposition the disc, firstly, before installing an extra disc, but who knows?  I'm very fortunate to have a fully working system, just the one disc, and only one change of disc position.

0 Ratings
himonster
Contributor
Message 57 of 58

So I've had a disc installed in the lounge, next to the hall where the smart hub is.

This means i can get a full 62mb download in my conservatory vs the slow 10 - 15mb before.

However, when I go upstairs with my mobile, I lose wifi connection for a while. Presumable because the smart hub is seeing it's closer to my phone, so disconnects me from the disc and connects me to the hub?

Not too sure how it works, but I thought these discs just improved the signal.

0 Ratings
Message 58 of 58

There is an improvement in the signal downstairs then?

Have you installed an extra (second) disc, or merely repositioned?  Is the wi-fi changing from 5 to 2.5 GHz?It’s puzzling about how long in seconds you are losing/ changing your wi-fi connection when walking upstairs. Is it only a very brief interruption?

0 Ratings