cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
himonster
Contributor
Message 11 of 58

Re: Smart Hub 2 & WiFi Disc Location

And sorry, why go to the disc itself and reconnect on my phone?

I'm sorry I'm just confused by the hub and the disc. Will my phone keep hopping connection depending on if I am closer to the hub or the disc?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 58

@himonster wrote:

And sorry, why go to the disc itself and reconnect on my phone?

I'm sorry I'm just confused by the hub and the disc. Will my phone keep hopping connection depending on if I am closer to the hub or the disc?

Sorry, I do not know how BT configure their mesh system, it does not seem to be anything like the one I use. See if you get a reply from one of the product experts.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 58

From past experience of use, the mobile phone (or device) will try to connect to the faster 5 GHz channel, if the signal strength is available. Hence if you are nearer to the disk then that 5 GHz connection is made.

As you move away from the disk, that 5 GHz connection is maintained until the signal weakens and the phone will then revert to the 2.4 GHz signal which has a longer range. From experience the phone will remain connected to the 2.4 GHz until you switch it off and restart. Hence in a smaller house you may never loose the 5 GHz if you stick to one room, or level.

I've never had the phone flipping back and forth between channels....only switching down to 2.4 GHz the once only and remaining connected there.

0 Ratings
himonster
Contributor
Message 14 of 58

Thanks. My wifi seemed more stable when it was just the smart hub to be honest.

Twice this morning my phone has lost connection to the wifi when going upstairs.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 58

@himonster wrote:

Thanks. My wifi seemed more stable when it was just the smart hub to be honest.

Twice this morning my phone has lost connection to the wifi when going upstairs.

You are probably moving through an area with no wifi coverage, its a problem with only two nodes, as there is only one path between the home hub, and the disc.

You may need another disc situated in another room halfway.

himonster
Contributor
Message 16 of 58

I'm not though. The smart hub 2 is in the hall. The disc is upstairs in the bedroom. It's a small house and I can see the smart hub from where the disc is upstairs!

I just came upstairs into the room with the disc. My phone lost wifi and it's taken 5 minutes to reconnect.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong really.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 58

Is there any option on the BT app, to enable fast roaming?

My mesh system has that option, and clients move between nodes without any disconnection, so there must be an option on the BT app somewhere, it may be called something different.

0 Ratings
himonster
Contributor
Message 18 of 58

No I can't find an option like that.

After experimenting, my phone does disconnect from my hub, and then after several minutes, reconnects to the disc if I'm nearer.

I wasn't aware this was the case, I thought it just extended your range, not disconnect you and reconnect you minutes later to the next nearest hotspot.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 58

Not sure how it supposed to work, because on a wireless mesh system, all nodes transmit the same SSID, and once a device has connected to a node and been authenticated, then moving to another node should not require authentication again, as the credentials are passed from the node, back to the master (gateway) node. That is what happens with my Tenda system, I see no disconnects.

So I am not sure what goes on with the BT Complete Wifi solution, unless its not a proper wireless mesh system, and the disc is simply acting as a wireless repeater, as that would explain why your phone disconnects, and then has to authenticate again.

The main thread relating to this product is here.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Introducing-Complete-Wi-Fi-from-BT/m-p/1901302#...

You may find the answer there.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 20 of 58

@himonsterwrote:

So since installing my disc today, my speed has dropped from 60mb to 35mb all round the house?

My phone keeps disconnecting and reconnecting depending on which WiFi location I'm closer to?

Unlike ethernet, which is Full Duplex and can transmit and receive simultaneously, Wi-Fi is half duplex.
This means it can only transmit or receive at any one moment in time, it cannot do both simultaneously.

Hence if you add a disc (or any form of repeater), your speed will reduce.

0 Ratings