Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 41 of 58

Re: Smart Hub 2 & WiFi Disc Location

@himonsterwrote:
How do I change the settings for that on the disc please?

You can disable either channel from 192.168.1.254 - Advanced Settings - Wireless.

See this page for help with the app

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/learn-about-broadband/how-do-i-set-up-complete-wi-fi-

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 42 of 58

0 Ratings
himonster
Contributor
Message 43 of 58

I mean what @Keith_Beddoe  said in disabling band steering?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 44 of 58

Perhaps that option is only available on the Whole home Wifi system?

You are going to have to wait for a reply from someone who is using the black disks.

0 Ratings
Message 45 of 58

I have the Smart Hub 2 with just the one disc.
There's no option for Band Steering in the setup.

You can disable either the 2.4 or 5 GHz bands individually, but not split them. However the 2.4 GHz bands are more likely to be congested, if you choose this setting. Alternatively, the 5 GHz bands have less range so you would be more likely to drop the connection over longer ranges.

I have the hub at the front of the house, and the disc at the rear, close to the conservatory entrance (both on the ground floor).  The top of the triangular representation is upstairs, where the desktop pc is positioned, and get good 5GHz through the house and also front and rear outside, up to approx. 15 ft at the rear. Channel reverts to 2.4GHz (and remains), if mobile device is out of 5GHz range.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 46 of 58

@himonsterwrote:

I mean what @Keith_Beddoe  said in disabling band steering?

The only method of band steering I can think of with these discs is as follows

You decide which band you want to use for each piece of kit
Tell each phone, tablet, PC etc that you want to connect, to forget any existing connections
Re-scan for available networks and select the one you want

When all done, log back into your router and re-enable any bands you disabled.

0 Ratings
Message 47 of 58

@Anonymous ,

Yes a valid point. But it's wise to fix your 2.4GHz channel......I'm only going on past local experience. There's a lot of congestion on 2.4GHz locally. e.g., channel 1 never worked here, going back for some years on many HH variants.....It's probably interference from  some home appliance/device. So I have to fix it to Channel 6. (In the good old days when we had a good telephone helpline, someone put me on to the fact that channel 1 was "defunct" on my installation and changed it to ch 6.)

I still don't quite understand why the OP's connection is dropping and taking several seconds to recover.....A brief disconnect is feasible, but not several seconds.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 48 of 58

@Ribblelancswrote:

@Anonymous ,

Yes a valid point. But it's wise to fix your 2.4GHz channel......I'm only going on past local experience. There's a lot of congestion on 2.4GHz locally. e.g., channel 1 never worked here, going back for some years on many HH variants.....It's probably interference from  some home appliance/device. So I have to fix it to Channel 6. (In the good old days when we had a good telephone helpline, someone put me on to the fact that channel 1 was "defunct" on my installation and changed it to ch 6.)

I still don't quite understand why the OP's connection is dropping and taking several seconds to recover.....A brief disconnect is feasible, but not several seconds.

Understood, if you have local interference from (say) a microwave oven then you have little option but to manually fix the channel. The only problem there is that your neighbours are probably on auto-select with the result that the best available channel is constantly changing.

I'm inclined to think that the construction of the OP's house is a contributory factor, I understand @himonster is getting an additional disc from BT which with any luck will resolve the problem 

0 Ratings
himonster
Contributor
Message 49 of 58

I was thinking that my phone may be connecting to the upstairs disc, and then when i go downstairs in the conservatory, the setup gets my phone to connect to the nearer wifi option - the hub itself, so disconnects me from the disc and reconnects me to the hub, meaning it takes a few minutes?

0 Ratings
himonster
Contributor
Message 50 of 58

So I've done a test with Network Signal App on my phone. 

Smart Hub 2 is in the hall, Disc 1 is in the bedroom.

Stand next to the hub and get 80% signal and the app sees I am 0.01m distance away from it.

Go upstairs to the bedroom where the disc is, and I get 41% signal, 4m distance. So it's like it's not even seeing the disc. 

I expected given the hub and disc, that I'd get a strong 80%+ signal around the close radius of both the hub and the disc? 

0 Ratings