cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 41 of 79

Re: Smart Hub 2 and USB

Hi @Tallmat we've raised this with the Hub team and they're investigating, I'm sorry I don't have any updates at the moment but as soon as I do I will let you know. 

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Tallmat
Aspiring Contributor
Message 42 of 79

@NeilO 

Thanks for your quick reply. It seems quite a few people are coming up against this problem. 

Using the USB socket to host a shared drive for a domestic or home business network is an important feature of a smart hub  

Given that NTFS is the more popular disc format,  and with many folk have existing drives containing lots of data in this format, let’s hope a fix can be sound soon! 

Thanks 

0 Ratings
duberry
Aspiring Contributor
Message 43 of 79

I posted on here too! Having the same problem. Mine is different though. I just bought a my passport formatted in mac osx (hfs). If you plug in you can map the drive and it appears on the mac desktop. However it will only read files not write plus doesn’t show up in disc utility and TM (Time Machine).

However connect the drive directly as a DAS (direct attached storage) on the mac’s usb and it works fine. However I tried the same thing with a usb stick and again it would only read files when you click on get info it says the file format is SMB (ntfs) but it is formatted as mac osx. 

If you format the USB stick fat32 you can read and write files. However disc utility still doesn't ‘see’ the usb stick. To reformat you have to connect directly to the mac. I can only assume you need a proper NAS for the mac to be able to format the drive.

However it sounds like a firmware problem on the SMB bit the see’s the drive or USB stick as smb(ntfs) when it is in fact a mac osx (hfs) formatted drive. As i’ve already done a local backup via TM I don’t want to format this drive fat32. Also TM only works with the mac format. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a 1st June firmware but didn’t buy the mypassport until last week. 

It seems like this has been a problem for a long time. Some people say the port is only for charging but that would seem silly. I have usb plugs all over my house. Why would you plug your phone in a router to charge. I don’t want to buy a NAS the usb port is meant to be a cheaper way of doing this.

Many thanks of anyone who can help 

0 Ratings
DRBA22
Aspiring Contributor
Message 44 of 79

Apologies for jumping on this bandwagon, but I have the same problem having recently "upgraded" to Smart Hub 2.  If I type \\192.168.1.257\usb1 all get is Your File Was Not Found.

Frustratingly, the USB drive worked perfectly on the older Smart Hub.

It's beginning to irritate me. 

0 Ratings
Tallmat
Aspiring Contributor
Message 45 of 79

No apology needed - actually the opposite, thanks for posting. 

This issue is clearly one that is frustrating many users.

BT tell us they're looking into the problem, which we all hope is happening. The more users who post being affected by this problem, the more sorting a fix will be a priority at BT..

RodT
Contributor
Message 46 of 79

Re: BT Smart Hub 2 and USB connecttion

Hi John

It's been a while so just wondered whether anything had come through from the Hub Team yet. (even if it is bad news!!!)

Cheers

Rod

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 47 of 79

Hi Everyone,

Thank you all the comments and for your patience, while we investigate the issue with the USB port on the Smart hub 2 not recognising USB devices.  I am very sorry for the inconvenience and confusion this has caused.

Thanks to those of you who have sent your details to us, this is proving helpful with our investigations.  As soon as we know more we will update this thread. 

As some of you have already identified there is a workaround which may help your situation.  If you have come across the issue whereby your USB device is not being recognised by the Smart hub 2, please try and format the devices to Fat/Fat32 as it has been confirmed that this will work with the hub.  If you choose this option it's vital to remember to back up any content already on the device, before formatting.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the files system terms used above you can find more details about Fat/Fat32 file systems from the links below,

Thanks for your continued patience.

Cheers Sean

Community ManagerSeanD
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
Tallmat
Aspiring Contributor
Message 48 of 79

Thanks @SeanD  - we appreciate the update.  Using FAT / FAT32 does work for flash drives and memory sticks, but is old technology. The max file size is 4GB and data transmission rates can be slow compared to NTFS.

We know you and your team are working on a solution and look forward to hearing when that's ready. Cheers!

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 49 of 79

Hi @Tallmat,

Thanks for your understanding.

I appreciate that using FAT32 in the meantime will offer lower performance, and  I can understand the frustration that this will add, especially with the slower transfers rates.  

I can assure you that our product team are very keen to find a solution and they will continue working on this until we can offer a full fix, hopefully, sooner rather than later.      

As soon as I know more I will let you know 😉

Cheers

Sean

Community ManagerSeanD
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
RodT
Contributor
Message 50 of 79

On Windows 10 I could only find the option to reformat to ExFAT which I have done. The disc remains ‘connected’ to the Smart Hub 2 but cannot be found on my PC!! BT have kindly sent me a new Hub but that makes no difference either.

As it was the firmware update that created this annoying situation can’t it be reversed?

0 Ratings