cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jnorris235
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Smart Hub 2 clarity for set up

I hope I have set the questions out for quick Yes or No answers so as not to test your patience.
There seem to be conflicting answers to some of these questions on this forum!

I have FTTP and use ethernet cable from Openreach box to Smart Hub2.
Fine. It works!!

Then use ethernet from Disc1 to Smart Hub2 to pair it.
Then disconnect ethernet, unplug disc from mains.
Do I need to leave Disc1 connected to Smart Hub and next to it? Yes/No

If No, then move Disc1 to somewhere within line of sight because of thick stone walls.
Is a “good”signal OK Yes - or must we aim for “excellent” NoYes/No

If the first Disc is only “Good” does that then degrade the signal as you go on to  2nd, 3rd and 4th Discs. Yes/No

Previously used Apple Extreme router that was ethernet chained with 3 Apple Express’s.
These don’t work with the Smart Hub, sadly, so the Discs daisy chain by signal.
But I’ll have to ethernet 2 Discs 3 & 4 because there is no line of sight through thick stone wall.

How, then, can I then connect a TV, or non-wireless Printer to the Disc that is connected by ethernet cable

At present one TV uses a BT  plug - but then why did I buy this Mesh sytem if I’ve got to use these plugs as well!!??

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Smart Hub 2 clarity for set up

Hi @jnorris235 ,

Welcome back and thanks for posting about the WiFi discs. We have a great instruction video on our Youtube channel which will guide you through the set up process. You'll find it at set up your complete wifi. You'll also see links to other help clips on the left side of the screen. I hope that helps.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
jnorris235
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Re: Smart Hub 2 clarity for set up

Thanks, that did answer clearly Question 1.

Now...I can see me needing 6 discs to get through/round stone walls and extra just to plug TVs into. So, if i could beg a little more help...

If the first Disc is only “Good” does that then degrade the signal as you go on to  2nd, 3rd and 4th Discs. Yes/No

Previously used Apple Extreme router that was ethernet chained with 3 Apple Express’s.
But I’ll have to ethernet 2 Discs 3 & 4 because there is no line of sight through thick stone wall.

How, then, can I then connect a TV, or non-wireless Printer to the Disc that is connected by ethernet cable

At present one TV uses a BT  plug - but then why did I buy this Mesh sytem if I’ve got to use these plugs as well!!??

0 Ratings
jnorris235
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Smart Hub chain reaction?

0 Ratings
jnorris235
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Smart Hub discs, chaining together?

Sorry guys, but two weeks and no answers!

How can I then connect a TV, or non-wireless Printer to a Disc that is connected by ethernet cable to the next disc.

We have two foot thick stone walls so have had to use ethernet

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Re: Smart Hub discs, chaining together?

Simply add an Ethernet switch somewhere in the Ethernet cable link, that will give you extra Ethernet ports.

A five port switch would give you three extra Ethernet connections, and an eight port one would give you six extra connections.

0 Ratings
jnorris235
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Re: Smart Hub discs, chaining together?

Thank you! These discs are not very strong, wont go 15metres in line of sight without dropping from excellent to good, wont go through 2foot stone walls (which I suppose is understandable) need ethernet switches (?) to use netflix or printers - seems like the ones you plug into the mains would have been far far better
0 Ratings