cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
QoQ
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 10

Smart Hub 2 ports and black WiFi discs Gigabit ports?

Do  the BT Smart Hub 2 and the Black WiFi BT disc both have gigabit Ethernet ports?

If so should a switch that I have connecting my Smart hub 2 be a gigabit switch? If using a 10/100 would it slow all the devices connected to the switch down?

Thanks

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 10

Re: Smart Hub 2 ports and black WiFi discs Gigabit ports?

Yes to all

0 Ratings
QoQ
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 10

Thanks. So I should buy a 1000 speed switch, any recommendations, or just any as most the same anyway?

Also if I had a powerline adapter connected to the switch, would this pull the speed down? Or would all the ports go at whatever speed they can? 

Just wondering if the switch would default to the slowest speed. 

I think I should get a 1000 speed switch then as now have UHD BT box and 4K TV, although the speed test in the my BT on the TV box says it’s ok speed. 

Just tested my internet speed at around 62Mb download it states. What does this equate to in regard to a switch? eg is 62Mb around 620 speed, whereas the switch can cope with (when get a gigabit one) 1000?

If so then I’ve been limiting my speed badly with the 10/100 (presuming it runs at max of 100). or am I getting this totally wrong. 

Thanks

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 10

I use a Netgear one simply because it was on promotion when I bought it, any unmanaged switch will do

Edit: your internet speed and local network speed are totally independent of one another

0 Ratings
QoQ
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 10

Ok thanks I’ll have a look for one. Some TP link 5 port 1000 are £12. 

But surely I’ve been slowing my network down with a 10/100 switch? 

What about a powerline adapter, would this pull my internal network speed down?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 10

Not the whole network no, just those connected to the 10/100 switch

Powerline adaptors are OK provided you use them as per the instructions and your home wiring is sound 

0 Ratings
QoQ
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 10

That’s a lot of my devices though on the 10/100 switch. I’ll get a 1000 then. 

Powerline just works though, they were the BT ones as my router was in different place but got stuttering on BT TV, so ended up moving router. I was just wondering though if maybe the powerline would pull speed down. 

Thanks

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 10

@QoQwrote:

Powerline just works though, they were the BT ones as my router was in different place but got stuttering on BT TV, so ended up moving router. I was just wondering though if maybe the powerline would pull speed down. 

Thanks

Yes the powerline adapter is a little bit of a bottle neck but they're normally fast enough for TV.

You may be able to get an idea of the speed of yours just by doing an internet speed test with the testing PC/Laptop connected to the router via your powerline adapter.

For example, your download speed is known to be 330 Mb/s but the PC/laptop (connected to the router via the powerline adapter) only reports a download speed of something like 75Mb/s, you can guess where the loss is

0 Ratings
QoQ
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 10

Thanks for help, but still unsure on two things.

If the powerline is connected into the 1000 switch, would it not pull down the network speed to all the devices on the switch as would be slower?

What I need to do is have a powerline out of the 1000 switch, and another powerline downstairs with a couple of devices plugged in it. 

Ive ordered a 1000 switch now, but still only have slow AV600 powerline. I’m happy to buy faster powerline if need be though. 

Or I could use the BT black disc and plug the device into Ethernet port downstairs. Would this be better/faster than using the powerline?

thanks

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 10 of 10

No, the powerline will not slow down other Devices connected to the gigabit switch.

The answer to your question about the black disc is not so clear cut as it depends on the operating environment. Say for example that the disc is connected to your hub via the 5 GHz carrier then connection speed will be limited to 868Mb/s, if it's connected via the 2.4Mb/s carrier then it could reach 450 depending on the number of antennas in the disc (1 antennae maximum speed = 300 Mb/s, 3 antennas = 450Mb/s)

0 Ratings