cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 11

Smart Hub 2

Go to solution

The smart Hub 2 has a socket for "digital voice customers only" what kind of socket is it and as I am a digital voice customer can I plug my old analogue phone in here? or is this for a VOIP handset? If it is for VOIP what is the easiest way to connect an external bell/sounder? any ideas?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Smart Hub 2

Go to solution

@Luddite67 wrote:

The smart Hub 2 has a socket for "digital voice customers only" what kind of socket is it and as I am a digital voice customer can I plug my old analogue phone in here? or is this for a VOIP handset? If it is for VOIP what is the easiest way to connect an external bell/sounder? any ideas?

@Luddite67 

Yes you can plug in an analogue phone. Not sure there would be enough ringing output to power an external bell, you would have to try it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks, what is the plug type ? RJ11? it is not a standard phone socket is it?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

@Luddite67 wrote:

Thanks, what is the plug type ? RJ11? it is not a standard phone socket is it?

As far as I am aware, the phone socket is a standard phone socket.

Capture.JPG

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks again, I am correct in saying older home hubs do not have this connection do they ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

@Luddite67 wrote:

Thanks again, I am correct in saying older home hubs do not have this connection do they ?

That is almost correct, however the home hub 1, 1.5 and the original home hub 2, had a phone socket for use with VOIP (BT Broadband Talk - legacy product). These were all ADSL routers.

BT are re-inventing an old service.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks again, so to get an analogue phone to work or some kind of external sounder I would need a smart hub 2 ? because the older hubs had the VOIP connectivity but not enabling older type devices like I want to incorporate correct?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

@Luddite67 wrote:

Thanks again, so to get an analogue phone to work or some kind of external sounder I would need a smart hub 2 ? because the older hubs had the VOIP connectivity but not enabling older type devices like I want to incorporate correct?

Yes, but as you have said you already have digital voice, then you must already have a smart hub 2.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

I would have thought that too. However this is for a business friend of mine who is currently still using an old hub. They have now been sent a business smart hub type A and using the Yealink handset but I do not believe this has the facility either they are looking for?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

@Luddite67 wrote:

I would have thought that too. However this is for a business friend of mine who is currently still using an old hub. They have now been sent a business smart hub type A and using the Yealink handset but I do not believe this has the facility either they are looking for?

They would have to ask that question on the BT Business forum, as the business hub is different. This forum is for BT Residential customers. BT business is more inclined towards VOIP, as some business users need multiple handsets.

Ask them to post on this forum https://business.forums.bt.com/

Specifically this board https://business.forums.bt.com/t5/Office-phones-systems/bd-p/viop

Businesses are moving away from dedicated phone lines, owing to the cost, and inability to move premises and keep their phone number.