Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 13

Re: Smart Hub 6 - Bridge/Modem mode

Go to solution

@B1998 wrote:

@mzzuzerwrote:
Great start with BT then by the sound of it. Someone at BT says i can, a BT community Forum member says i can't 🙂

I think the reality is they might be both right and the devil's in the detail. It may depend the type of broadband and exact hub model you have? Some hubs may be configured to work with an ethernet type connection into your home, some others as A/VDSL routers (even if they're both called 6). I know this was the case for older types of hubs, but not sure about smart hub 6 onwards.

A hub expert would have to answer that specifically...

There is no devil in the detail, no hubs can be used in modem only mode, end of. They can be used in router only mode with a separate modem but not vice versa.

0 Ratings
mzzuzer
Message 12 of 13

Go to solution

Well....   this isn't an issue for me any more as Virgin have begged me to come back to them with a good deal that is exactly what i was looking for.  It took actualy leaving for them to do it.

I am surprised that running a BT Hub in modem only mode is (seemingly) impossible.  I'm also bewildered by BT employees telling me one thing (that's excluding those that didn't seem to understand what i was talking about) and BT Users telling me something else.  I did see another post related to this thread BTW that said modem only mode WAS possible (on a BT Business Smart Hub 6 i think)....   but i'm not going to worry about it anymore now.

Ho Hum.....

0 Ratings
brookheather
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 13

Go to solution

The BT Business Hub can be configured in bridge (modem only) mode but not the regular residential hubs:

https://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35226/~/how-do-i-enable-bridge-mode-on-my-bt...