cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Smart Hub 6 Location Services

Hi all, have had a good trawl and can’t find info or example of the exact same scenario hence new post.

We were upgraded to a smarthub 6 and a new broadband deal about six months ago. Broadband and wi-fi is fine, however...

Despite endless conversations and tinkering with apple, resets, reboots etc neither of our two iPads have regained location services on the home network. Additionally the kids amazon tablet is also ‘lost’. Hence both are severely limited in what they will do - no now tv, Eurosport, time updates, weather  etc etc.

Location is available through chrome or edge when using laptops. GPS enabled phones also work.

Apple devices work on neighbours WiFi (they are at the very end of our line - we are a bit out in the sticks). Interestingly they have recently installed a new EE router and this would see nothing like the level of apple product interaction ours would (in terms of showing up on database).

To date (over the past six months) I have renamed our home network, split out the bands, tried modes 1-3, corrected location on apple maps using IPhone GPS, turned off smart set up, reset and rebooted endlessly so on and so forth. Out of curiosity I even tried to re install the old BT router setup but this didn’t want to connect to the internet however I wired it up - I assume incompatible with new socket, fibre line or whatever?

Overall now out of ideas and pretty hacked off!

Any thoughts? Could it be an odd otherwise unnoticed router fault? Firewall, pin hole issue -haven’t adjusted anything here.

Thanks very much (please note the above is about the extent of my technical know-how so keep it simple please!)

Cheers

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Smart Hub 6 Location Services

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for the info.

Given that I currently at least have an accurate location on the laptop won’t ‘deregistering’ as the other thread suggests potentially  also screw this up?

The iPads / amazon device don’t have an ‘incorrect’ location as things stand, they have no location whatsoever, just endlessly search and eventually say one can’t be found.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

I am not sure how the iPads/Amazon devices get their location info, I assume its from another location service, and that has not stored your BSSID against your location.

I suggest you look on the Apple forums to see if there is a way of registering the Apple devices via a combination of GPS and wirelss BSSID.

As for the Amazon devices, again, try the Amazon forums, as Amazon devices do not have the Google Services installed by default, which is  probably why location services are not working.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

This is the crux of it - there is no technical way for apple to manually input our router location into their database. Correcting it using a GPS apple device through apple maps should do this automatically over a period of time - they suggest days to three weeks. After hundreds of attempts we are at six months and counting. Yet the neighbours with a EE router with precious little apple tech interaction (I suspect never gone through map process) are seemingly straight in. 

As I have a location on laptop via google maps I assume we are in the google database or is this separately populated relative to maps via apps?

I guess my query (to BT) is whether there is / could be some technical glitch relating to android / apple / amazon OS connectivity in this router as seemingly all other variables have been eliminated, line, device etc. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Update... been abroad (with iPad). Used successfully on hotel WiFi - location services, apps etc all worked. 

On retuning home I thought I’d try my luck on home network and was delighted to see location services had sprung to life - all was well. That was until a couple of weeks passed and then with absolutely no warning all apple devices are were again ‘lost’ on our home BT broadband yet still working elsewhere....

How can a router MAC address be found and then lost again.... Totally baffled!?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

I am having the same problem. Two iPad Pro’s in the house will not show correct location on my smart(?) hub 6 network. Tried all the Apple solutions (Reset network, reset location services etc) to no avail. Location services work fine with the iPad elsewhere. Worked for a while and I thought - solved! But no, it’s gone again. May try a different router to narrow it down. Google devices on the network are OK.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

All I can add is that for no explicable reason it started working again after several more months went by and mercifully has been fine ever since... patience is a virtue and all that!

0 Ratings