cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 181 of 221

Re: Smart Hub (6 type A) Firmware update.

Go to solution

Here's a bit of history of the 14 day reboots;

Prior to 2014 (In 2012-2013.) things just worked, no 14 day reboots like clockwork, no predicting when the line went down. I had a Home Hub 4 and an ECI modem. 

..When January 2014 rolled around something changed. I believe the Home Hub 5 came out at the end of 2013 then. A firmware update ending in v1.6 for the Home Hub 5 came out, after that the fortnightly reboot happened on the Home Hub 4 (For some reason.) and 5.

There have been countless speculative ideas like; DLM being the culprit, software, firmware, hardware.

I could go on. I just ended up living with it because every 2 weeks isn't a deal breaker. 

All I'll speculate is prior to January 2014 things just worked. Afterwards it changed and people started noticing this. Some network/backend/software had to have changed.

I had such an issue with this back in the day.

It obviously settled with time with the fortnightly reboots on the;

Home Hub 4, Home Hub 5, Smart Hub and a Smart Hub 2. 

Other ISP routers and companies don't do this. 3rd party routers aren't affected either. So it makes you wonder eh? 

5 years and counting.. 

*This is my signature...it's a bit boring*
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 182 of 221

Go to solution

I agree , think the last reliable HUb for me was the Hub 3.

In these days of high technology you would hope BT would move with the times but clearly not.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 183 of 221

Go to solution

Well there we have it two weeks in a row, reboot after 7 days with the Smart(?) Hub BT said would cure the problems.

Will be taking this one out and replacing it with an equally dumb HUB but at least it will be 10-15% faster.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 184 of 221

Go to solution

as has been noted it is not hub specific and not everyone has/had the problem.  I like you had the 14 day reboot and it was annoying more than a problem.  however as I have posted on previous occasions mine just stopped rebooting without me doing anything and now, before my last manual reset, I had 90 days stable connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 185 of 221

Go to solution

I personally don't see the big issue over the 14 day reboot as long as it doesn't happen while you're doing something important. The FRITZ!Box 3490/7530 came with a settings enabled by default that reboots the hub in the middle of the night at a convenient time so it wouldn't do it randomly. I'm guessing that the BT Hubs also do it for the same reason, just to maintain performance and have a re-sync. I wouldn't trust the BT Hubs anyway being up for so long without a reboot, knowing the firmware quality there's probably memory leaks and it slows down over time lol.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 186 of 221

Go to solution

Thanks for your update. I would have thought that after 11 months and two so called Smart Hubs something would have changed for the better but it hasn't. I conclude  that perhaps it is something inherent in the exchange I am connected to but who knows. If BT know they certainly aren't admitting or even confirming a problem exists let alone a solution.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 187 of 221

Go to solution

Thought mine might have cured itself when it went into the 15th day but no such luck. In fact as if it wanted to make up for missing the 14 days it rebooted itself again after an hour lol

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 188 of 221

Go to solution

Well, time for another update.

Interestingly mine seems to be out of the 14 day cycle and into something like a 20 day one over the last couple of months.

Just rebooted overnight, I was hoping but hey......

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 189 of 221

Go to solution

Thanks for the update. Mine is still stuck on an 8 day reboot cycle. No sign of it changing yet so I don't think it will change now.

At least the download speed is 10% better with this Hub than the previous one though they are allegedly exactly the same spec.

Just got messages on my bill to upgrade to Halo etc which includes another Smart (?) Hub.

Why would I want yet another Hub where you can't separate 2.4 and 5 Ghz let alone the fact that it might also be on a 7 day reboot, apart from the fact it is £200 !

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 190 of 221

Go to solution
It appears that a firmware update took place on 27th March this year.

I can confirm that it has not made any difference whatsoever to the 7 day reboot syndrome at all.

Indeed my hub has just rebooted after a day and half.

Time will tell if it has got worse or not.

0 Ratings