cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cicero
Aspiring Expert
Message 71 of 88

Re: Smart Hub (6 type A) Firmware update.

Go to solution

Have had a look at the logs. In less than 24 hours the HUB has generated 158 pages of logs. In looking at these I would say 90% of the message are IGMP join messages, at some intervals there is 1 sec between messages. Do we really need to see these ? What purpose do they serve, I calculate there are 8000 of them in less than 24 hours, do they really need to be produced at such rapidity, no wonder the HUB collapses at random intervals. What class of message they come under when looking at logs heaven only knows.

0 Ratings
Cicero
Aspiring Expert
Message 72 of 88

Go to solution

Since my last comment I note the log has gone up to 159, total entries on the page 101, IGMP entries 81. After any reboot the HUB must create a very high number quickly to get up to over 100 pages. My firmware is still on the May update.

My calculation On number of log entries in the previous post is low, I suspect log entries to be around 16,000 and IGMP entries around 13,000

0 Ratings
Magnetron
Aspiring Contributor
Message 73 of 88

Go to solution

Just coming up to 5 days without a reboot since the latest firmware update. I have previously noticed random reboots when using iPlayer and wondered if it's something to do with error rates in the stream. When the Hub restarts it comes back at the same sync rate and noise margin so not noise related.

0 Ratings
Cicero
Aspiring Expert
Message 74 of 88

Go to solution

Thanks for that. I haven't used Iplayer during the interval, only  used BT Sport and that hasn't caused a collapse. Will keep any eye on the log, I seem to recall it never gets above 174, but will check, currently on 168. I have no doubt BT know what the problem is and the solution but are quiet on both issues. Agreed I don't think it's error related as my config returns to the same specs after reboot so you have to wonder why it does it.

0 Ratings
Magnetron
Aspiring Contributor
Message 75 of 88

Go to solution

Almost 6 days now. The strange thing is that the 14 day reboot issue only became apparent with Hub 5 and Hub 6 on my connection, before that on a Hub 3 it would run for 30 days or so. The Hub 5 I had was pre-owned off Ebay but was as stable as a Hub can get apart from the 14 day reboot.

0 Ratings
Cicero
Aspiring Expert
Message 76 of 88

Go to solution

As I recall the older HUBs I had were predictable, my old HUB 5 was defintely 14 days but this Smart (?Dumb) one varies the best it has done is 8, generally lurches between 2 - 7.

0 Ratings
Cicero
Aspiring Expert
Message 77 of 88

Go to solution

Hi Magnetron - a quick update. I used BBC Iplayer last night and strangely enough about 10 mins after I had finished a "soft reset" occurred. In looking at log there were no strange messages other than that TR069 had done a reconfiguration and issued Boot .....log is currently at 172 pages...all line characteristics the same etc.....

0 Ratings
Magnetron
Aspiring Contributor
Message 78 of 88

Go to solution

Strangely mine has only ever rebooted when using iPlayer, have never noticed it with other streaming services like Netflix and YouTube.

Quite why I have no idea, when it does and I look at the stats they are the same as prior to the reboot so not caused by noise on the line.

I suspect it's driven from the exchange end but can only guess why, the type of reset is normally Power Reset rather than Soft.

I can't find much about the Power Reset but it is nothing to do with the power supply like some have indicated, my hub is on a UPS supply.

0 Ratings
Cicero
Aspiring Expert
Message 79 of 88

Go to solution

hi Magnetron.....used IP.ayer last night whilst Xbox was in use as well and no adverse effects....no reboot, though it is only 2 days. Talking to a neighbour this morning who works from home a lot, they are less than impressed with what seems to be a 6 day indiscriminate boot cycle. Also I note logs are some 40 pages less than they were yesterday. Still no firmware change for me.

0 Ratings
tonyw1
Contributor
Message 80 of 88

Go to solution

Mine had been up for 30 days but has just rebooted and updated to FW SG4B1000E01E dated 20-Aug-2019.

0 Ratings