cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Smart Hub Range very poor

Hi I recently had a Smart Hub installed and the range is appalling.  According to the sales pitch I should be getting 500m.

"The BT Smart Hub offers a unique 7 antennas and advanced interference blockers to provide you with the UK's most powerful Wi-Fi signal compared to any competitor's router. You'll be able to connect devices up to a massive 500 meters away!"

I'm getting less than 25 metres !!!

Is it likely there is a fault or am I just a victim of dishonest marketing?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Smart Hub Range very poor

Sorry but no home wifi whichever ISP is going to give you a connection at 500m and 25m sounds about right and probably less in a home due to interference

can you post the sales pitch which says wifi connection at 500m

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 12

There is one particular Independent Review quoting and disputing the 500 metre range, but there’s nothing to be found in any BT documentation, unless I have missed something.  15 metres is about normal for going through 2 plasterboard walls, although it’s marginal to get 5 GHz at that distance. The 25 metre for 2.4 GHz sounds realistic.

Wonder if some is testing in a disused mine somewhere?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

imjolly this is a cut n paste from the BT chat agents words

"The BT Smart Hub offers a unique 7 antennas and advanced interference blockers to provide you with the UK's most powerful Wi-Fi signal compared to any competitor's router. You'll be able to connect devices up to a massive 500 meters away!"

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Its came from this BT sales agent chat

"if you order with me now, I can provide a Chat exclusive offer: the Fibre 2 package - you'll get unlimited usage, download speeds on average of 67Mb and our second generation Smart Hub. It's just £11 per month plus £18.99 monthly line rental - that's £2 per month cheaper versus the standard offer. Fibre activation is FREE, just a £9.99 hub delivery charge

Our Broadband packages include Line Rental as standard with pay as you go calls, 20p/min.

You can also add 500 minutes for £5/month, or unlimited minutes for £15/month.

This now includes calls to UK landline and any UK mobile number, day or nigh

The BT Smart Hub offers a unique 7 antennas and advanced interference blockers to provide you with the UK's most powerful Wi-Fi signal compared to any competitor's router. You'll be able to connect devices up to a massive 500 meters away!

If you order with me now, I can provide a Chat exclusive offer: the Fibre 2 package - you'll get unlimited usage, download speeds on average of 67Mb and our second generation Smart Hub. It's just £11 per month plus £18.99 monthly line rental - that's £2 per month cheaper versus the standard offer. Fibre activation is FREE, just a £9.99 hub delivery charge.

With line rental included it's £29.99 a month on a 24 month contract.

I can see no orders have been processed on my end Les. I apologise for the error with the order form at present that is preventing you from ordering online. We have an alternate telephone based team that can help with your online exclusive offer. Please call our Easy Assist on 0808 100 1441 and they will be happy to assist you further (Monday to Saturday, 8AM to 9PM and Sunday 9AM to 6PM)."

Basically they lied, I had asked three times about the range as I was amazed at what they were quoting.  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 12

@zak99,@imjolly ,

I don’t want to add a direct link. However if you do a google search for Smarthub2 500metre range, you will find that claims about the marketing information were banned, and a dispute resulted.

What seems to have happened was that tests  were done in the open Up To 500 metres.  A claim was wriggled in that a successful transmission/ reception was obtained at 200 metres through a wall. No direct mention of success at 500 metres. Somehow someone’s imagination seems to have been stretched. 😎

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 12

I am almost sure that in the original now banned by Ofcom TV ad with Ryan Reynolds and the helicopter they went up to 500m and he was still getting WiFi signal.   The ad was then replaced by one where he went up to 200m hanging off the helicopter and still got a signal. 

Like all these things I'm sure these numbers were achieved in a lab and not the real world.

SP 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

At no point in my discussions with the various BT chat agents did I believe their claims of 500m. But as several chat agents clearly shared the same thing from the same script and stood by their claim, even when I challenged them,  I felt it was reasonable to expect I would easily get within 10% of their 500m claim,  50m would cover everything in my boundary.   I'm getting less than 20m.  

As they lied in writing and and I now have a router that is not fit for my purpose where do I stand? 

Someone had said on another post of mine asking for BT input that they do not comment here.  Well they do watch as I was direct messaged by BT that they objected to my sharing a chat transcript with the agents first name in and deleted it.  A shame they won't comment on their fraudulent claim of 500m range in that chat transcript.  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 12

@zak99 

As crazy as this sounds BT doesn't guarantee a wireless connection with any of its broadband packages or products apart from Complete WiFi which includes the WiFi Disks. 

If you bought the hub by itself you could try and get a refund as you have been mis-sold.

If you received the smart hub as part of a new package you could also raise a case and report that you were mis-sold and only took the package because of the 500m wireless. BT may offer to upgrade you to Complete Wifi at a special price or Free of charge as a resolution or release you from your contract. 

SP

0 Ratings