Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Smart Hub & Discs

Hi,

Trying to get my smart hub working correctly. I have two additional discs but neither will connect to the hub during setup under WiFi. They are ok with the Ethernet cable in but never reconnect when the cable is removed. I do have 46 devices connected (lights, iPhone, Stadia and the like). Any thoughts? Also, when setting up to make the mesh network why am II told to connect the second disc to the hub as surely this prevents me building on the range of the first disc? How many connections can the hub support, maybe I am near the limit?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Smart Hub & Discs

@Garadiff 

If you are using the black discs, they are just wireless repeaters and do not form a wireless mesh.

Make sure you follow the setup instructions, and are using the correct version of the app.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Cheers Keith that is what I thought and hence “Whole home WiFi” does not work for my property! Guess it’s time to get a modem and a mesh network!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

@Garadiff wrote:

Cheers Keith that is what I thought and hence “Whole home WiFi” does not work for my property! Guess it’s time to get a modem and a mesh network!

The whole home discs are white, and do form a mesh network, but one needs to be connected to the home hub all of the time.

The black discs are part of the BT Complete Wifi, and  link by wireless to the smart hub 2, they are not a mesh system.

I use the Tenda Nova MW3 wireless mesh system with my router, which has its wifi switched off. This can operate in bridge mode, and works very well. Its very easy to setup.

It costs about £66 for three nodes, one of which you would connect to the home hub. Three nodes are really the minimum, to allow multiple routes. I have a four node system as I wanted to have one node in the garage for some monitoring equipment.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

I have a Archer AC2800 arriving on Tuesday to see if that by itself can fix the issue but I also have a DrayTek V130 so could make a mesh if needed. I have tried a Nighthawk AC2300 to check coverage and it seems to fill the house ok but without the modem connected so I have not loaded the system yet. Any thoughts about disabling 5ghz as it’s really only phones that are using it as all the other smart devices are mainly on 2.4

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

You cannot simply create a wireless mesh with a number of wireless points, you need a system of nodes which have the appropriate software which automatically routes a device to the best node and wireless band.

A mesh also provides multiple paths between the nodes, so that if one path suffers interference, then another route is chosen.

This is a picture of my wireless mesh, and you can see the multiple paths.

Screenshot_2020-03-16-20-31-06.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

@Keith_Beddoe 

BT say they are both mesh systems.

See this reply from @BrunoN  :

"To clarify this, whole home wi-fi itself is a single network and does offer handover between discs without dropping connection in the same way as Complete Wi-Fi does.

But one difference is that whole home wi-fi is a separate network to the home hub (which may be what you meant). In fact we recommend switching off wi-fi on the hub for people who use whole home wi-fi."

In this discussion : https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Devices/Complete-Wifi-and-Whole-Home-Wifi/td-p/1927008

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 8

@Keith_Beddoe 

Hi Keith, 

I have a Tenda MW6 but cannot get it working with BT.  I have FTTP and I have tried using the Tenda as a router, removing the smart hub and having the WAN cable plugged directly into the Tenda AP.  Worked for about 2 days then the AP's kept dropping connection.  I went back to the Smarthub and used the Tenda just as AP's and that worked for a little while, too (I turned the wireless off on the Smarthub) but I could not see the devices on the Tenda AP?  Any tips/tricks you can give me would be greatly appreciated so I can get this working!  Thank you

0 Ratings