cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Marcus_H
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Smart Hub versions 084316 v 084319

I've been looking on an 'auction' site with a view to buying a BT Smart Hub (Home Hub 6) to replace my existing Home Hub 5.
I currently have FTTC.
I spotted an article on another site which warned FTTC customers to make sure they bought a Smart Hub with code 084316 and NOT 084318, as apparently code 084318 is designed for FTTP use.  
All well and good I thought, until read an article that mentioned that there was also a Smart Hub  with code 084319 that was also for FTTC use.
I since noticed Smart Hubs for sale on the auction site with both these codes.
Could anyone advise if this information is correct and whether there's any discernible difference between the 084316 and 084319 versions?
Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Smart Hub versions 084316 v 084319

The one for FTTP has a red WAN port while the FTTC one does not have a WAN port.

If you have FTTC you can use either of them because you won't need the WAN port.

0 Ratings
Marcus_H
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Many thanks for the very quick reply.

However, I think you've explained the difference between the  FTTC version (084316) and the FTTP version (084318).

My question was really asking whether versions 084316 and 084319, which I've read are BOTH designed for FTTC, have any differences in specifications (i.e. that would lead me to buy one rather than the other).   

(obviously apologies if either my understanding of your post is wrong or if the information I've read elsewhere regarding the different model codes is incorrect)

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Probably just different manufacturer.

Not entirely sure why you would want to buy one anyway, either keep what you have or buy a decent router.

gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

I don't know if there is any difference in the specs of the two you have mentioned.

I suspect that, as has been pointed out, they are just supplied by different manufacturers. BT have a habit of doing that although the usually add a (B) to the one that comes onto the marked after the original one. 

I would also question why buy a ISP's router that is locked to that ISP.

You would be better spending your money on a decent third party VDSL Modem/router most of which will perform at least as well if not better than the Smarthub and will usually have more user configurable features.

0 Ratings
Marcus_H
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

I have read about the (A) and (B) being added to the same model number to identify different manufacturers, but when I saw the different model numbers, it made me wonder whether there was an actual technical difference between the two.

In answer to the question as to why I'm looking to change from HH5 - I occasionally use a laptop in the garden and find that the signal can drop out from time to time. I've read that the Smart Hub has a better signal over a greater range and as I can pick one up for around £20 new, it seemed like it was worth the upgrade.
I'm not particularly technically minded - it's only what I've read - so it seemed worth a punt.    

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

I doubt very much you will notice any difference, you would be better adding an extra wireless hotspot device and plugging it in at a position nearest to the garden.

Look for BT Mini Hotspot 600.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Or even just trying different channels.

There's a good reason they are so cheap!!!

0 Ratings