cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 19

SmartHub 2 Broadband cable

Go to solution

Hi. Trying to set my new SmartHub 2 up but my existing broadband cable (for an old BTHub 4) doesn't fit. The instructions that came with the new hub don't say what type of cable I need, just that it has "grey ends". Please can you help? Many thanks.

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: SmartHub 2 Broadband cable

Go to solution

If you have a fibre connection and used the hh4 then you must have used a modem as well. The SH2 does not need the separate modem and you should connect the cable from the master socket that goes to the modem should no be connected to the dsl connection on the SH2. You need to use the new power supply

so connection now is rj11 cable from master socket to SH2 and then Ethernet to device

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution

Sorry, I'm struggling to understand. I currently have copper broadband by BT is switching over to fibre on may 1st in this area.

My current BT hub4 is connected to my phone line through a filter & into the broadband DSL port on the back of the hub. 

The new SmartHub 2 arrived & this same cable doesn't seem to fit into the broadband port on the back of the new hub?

I'm confused. Do I need to buy a new cable?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution

see this set up video for BT Smart Hub  which is the same procedure as  your new Smart Hub2 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXS9zLcpW5Y

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution

Thank you both of you. Sorry I was v tired & frustrated last night. I know what I need to do now.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

I have a similar issue, the broadband socket is different from my previous hub. The cable they subsequently sent me, didn’t fit either. Then came corona Lock down, and now BT is almost impossible to contact. I’m trying to order the correct cable (grey ends) but don’t know what it is called.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution

@Alchemi63 

If it is the cable that connects hub to openreach socket then that is rj11 modem cable. The cable that connects hub to devices is Ethernet rj45

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution

RJ11 - RJ11

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution

Thanks. I finally managed to speak to someone from BT, it’s only taken 4 weeks. He suggested RJ11 too, and being a good egg organised for one to be sent. But many thanks to those that answered.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution

My SH2 does not have an RJ11 input – only RJ45 ('Broadband'). Is there an RJ11 to RJ45 cable available? Or an adaptor?

0 Ratings