cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

SmartHub - Why don't devices connect to the nearest access point (Hub or Disc)?

I have a SmartHub with 1 disc and looking to ensure that my devices connect to the nearest wifi access point, whether that be the Router (in my upstairs office) or the Disc (Downstairs lounge). It seems that once a device (eg iPhone and Laptop) has connected to the disc they will not then connect to the router when in my office within a few feet of the router. Even shutting down my PC and restarting still sees it reconnecting to the disc. conversely my Smart TV, which is even further away from the router and in the next room to the disc still insists on connecting to the router.

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: SmartHub - Why don't devices connect to the nearest access point (Hub or Disc)?

@PhilGoodall 

Welcome to this user forum.

I am sure this has been asked before on this forum, and one of the BT Device experts answered it, as they know how the routing works.

If its a proper wireless mesh, then devices should connect to whichever node has the best quality connection. I suspect that the wireless devices that are connecting, do not have the ability to roam between nodes, or perhaps that is not how the system is supposed to work.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 9

Re: SmartHub - Why don't devices connect to the nearest access point (Hub or Disc)?

Are you sure the disc is working? it doesn't sound as if it is. You check it using the MyBT app, goto More (the three dots) then Your WiFi Network 

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

I'm pretty sure my fairly new Dell Laptop and iPhone 11 should have no issues roaming but still wouldn't explain why after a powerdown of the laptop and sitting next to the router it should determine the disc on a different floor is a better option. There is something wrong with the way the mesh network is working for sure.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

I can see the disc is working by checking the Smart Hub2 Manager on 192.168.1.254, as I speak there are 9 devices connected. The issue is that devices are not connecting to the best signal. The reason for installing the disc was because my TV was too far aware from the router to get a decent speed. The disc works well and does provide a good speed in the same room as the TV so why does the TV choose to connect to the router much further away and a much weaker signal. Conversely why does my iPhone and Laptop choose to hang on to the connection when moving from close to the disc to close to the router. Even when the Laptop is rebooted, it still connects to the disc even when sitting right next to the router. More importantly how do I make it behave the way I expect it to. I was hoping the manager utility had a way of refreshing the connection to force the laptop to reconnect to the router but I can't find anything that would do that.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 9

Regarding the TV, have you tried telling it to forget the network and then set it up again (don't use WPS)

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Just checked again now and it has now connected to the Disc, it seems to be pretty random, really not sure what is causing this behaviour

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 9

Could it be that the signal from the hub is stronger than you think?

Try forgetting the connection on the TV as I suggested earlier and set it up again entering the password manually. If the TV continues to behave the same, download a wifi network test app for your phone and use it to compare the signals from each.  

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

The TV seems to be stable now. I did a power cycle on the router and disc, bringing the router back first. I used a signal strength app before I went for the disc so I know the room where the TV is gets about half the strength of signal compared to the same room as the router. I’m seeing the opposite effect with my iPhone 11 for example where even when stood next to the router it’s still picking up the disc, even after forgetting the network. Ive since been watching what’s happening via the MyBT app, not sure how accurate it is but I have seen the iPhone moving from Router to disc and back without moving anywhere. Would be great if someone from BT could explain how the connection is determined and how to influence the behaviour.

0 Ratings