Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
richy17
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Thinking of buying BT mesh system - questions

I just have a couple of question about the BT mes system

Does the connection drop when the device moves between nodes?  

If you connect a network switch to the ethernet port of one of the discs, does this allow all the wired devices to access the network or is this port only for connection to the router?  (might seem like an odd question but ive seen some conflicting comments about it online)

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Thinking of buying BT mesh system - questions

@richy17wrote:

I just have a couple of question about the BT mes system

Does the connection drop when the device moves between nodes?  

If you connect a network switch to the ethernet port of one of the discs, does this allow all the wired devices to access the network or is this port only for connection to the router?  (might seem like an odd question but ive seen some conflicting comments about it online)

Hi @richy17

If by BT Mesh System you mean BT Complete WiFi I can confirm the ethernet port on the Disc can be connected to a switch. I am writing this while using that precise connection.

https://www.bt.com/broadband/complete-wifi

If you are enquiring about the BT Whole Home WiFi then sorry I don't know anything about that system.

https://www.shop.bt.com/learnmore/bt-branded-products-and-services/bt-whole-home-wi-fi/

0 Ratings
richy17
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Cheers, It's the whole home WiFi
0 Ratings
thebroughfamily
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Yes you can add a switch to the Ethernet port of a whole home wifi disc too, I'm using one in my 6 disc set up and it's no problem.
0 Ratings
thebroughfamily
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Oh and no I don't suffer any connection drop changing between rooms and discs... Sometimes it takes a few seconds to switch, I'll notice the wifi bar isn't full for a few seconds then it suddenly will be, but it has always stayed working uninterrupted.
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 6 of 7

Hi @richy17,

Yes, @thebroughfamily is correct.

Enjoy...

Community ModeratorBrunoN
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Devices queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BT device queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
richy17
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Cheers guys, I went and bought a set. Coverage is strong everywhere, Its not as fast as I expected but it's better than I had which is fine with me
0 Ratings