cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
darlo
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Unknown mac address uploading from BT Vision boxUnknown mac address uploading from BT Vision box

Go to solution

A few weeks ago I noticed a strange mac address on my home network which doesn't have an IP address or name. After trying to block (wifi mac filtering and parental controls) with no luck I started to unplug devices. This tracked it down to the BT Vision Youview box (it is not the mac address of the box). The address uploads data only usually around 35mb/hr but it can peak at several hundred. I am concerned from a security position on what this is doing as I have not given permission for this and it seems to evade all attempts at blocking it.

I am using an Asus RT-AC68U router and it shows up within the traffic analyser.

Any thoughts out there on what this is and does anyone else have the same problem?

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Unknown mac address uploading from BT Vision boxUnknown mac address uploading from BT Vision box

Go to solution

Do you use Powerline adaptors to connect the BT Vision box.

0 Ratings
darlo
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Re: Unknown mac address uploading from BT Vision boxUnknown mac address uploading from BT Vision box

Go to solution
I do but mac address of the homeplug is different and is connecting 3 other devices (TV, PVR and BluRay) so still active when BT Vision is disconnected.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution
0 Ratings
darlo
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

I’d previously looked it up it is an Alcatel device. Not sure how that relates to the bt vision box though.

0 Ratings
darlo
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Does anyone have any thoughts on this. BT are saying it is a youview issue, youview are saying it is a BT issue. Neither wanting to take any responsibility for it (or just help). I have been trying to block the mac address without sucess (I can block the BT Box's mac address but not the unknown one). The only surefire way so far to stop this upload traffic is to unplug the network cable from the BT vision box.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
darlo
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Sorted. With some help from Gavin at BT (thankyou very much) this is an issue with multicast traffic and the asus router. Once with Gavin help we had tracked this to multicast data a quick search found a small number of references to a long standing bug in the firmware where the multicast download traffic is reported by the router as upload traffic and reported as such.

Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

@darlo Thanks for keeping the thread updated with the outcome of the investigation.

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You