cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Upgrade from Hub 2?

Just took delivery of a Smart Hub 2. Comparing it to the one I'm using, Smart Hub, I see the spec is the same. 

So, a cctv camera I have only just works with 1080p, not the 2k it has. And it often drops connection / goes offline. 

So, should I invest in a new router? Something not expensive. Just something more powerful that the Smart Hub 2. 
I've also got an engineer coming to look at routing a Cat6 cable outside to the camera today. (or just moving the camera so it has better los). 

Suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks 🙂 

Tags (4)
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Upgrade from Hub 2?

Well obviously don't spend any more money until the engineer has visited.  Make sure that the firmware on the camera is up to date - this can make a significant change.  Try reorienting or moving the router, again little things that you wouldn't think can make a difference sometimes do.
If there is power in the garage, have you considered powerline adapters?  While not perfect they should be able to manage the feed from a single camera.  Failing that could you set up an access point with better LoS (Line of Sight)?

*I have an Asus GT-AX6000 which is supposed to have fantastic WiFi (our phones will pick up the signal at the end of the cull-de-sc), but I've still had to use an Asus AiMesh node to get a usable signal to a couple of well-shielded client devices!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
Message 3 of 5

How is the camera connected to the Hub (you only mention an engineer going to look at routing a CAT6) ?

Where does the camera send its video? Is it to a server on your Lan (if so how is that connected) or is it to the cloud in which case what Broadband do you have?

I agree with @Crimliar just changing router could be a waste of time - you may find that the position of the router and that of the camera require a AP if using WiFi.

Message 4 of 5

The main difference between the Smart Hub 1 and 2 is the addition of support for Complete Wifi. If signal at your camera is weak, then the simple addition of a Complete Wifi disc would be enough to boost it without changing wiring (only power needed). There are plenty for sale online - either new or second hand. Just make sure it's "Complete Wifi" - a round black disc, not "Whole Home Wifi" which is incompatible.
Message 5 of 5

Yea, so I decided just to let the engineer route a Cat6 Cable out to the cctv camera. That's the best bet.

Thanks for the replies 🙂