cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 16

Re: Using a WiFi complete spare disc to hard wire into tv rather than long cable to hub

Go to solution

@Aileen52 wrote:

Hi ! Yes bt sport  and the kids channels I have subscribed to . That was yesterday when I tried. ! I haven’t checked today .

Then the new Smart Hub 2 is totally different in that respect, as the other home hubs would not transmit multicast over wireless.

There may be range restrictions, but if you have them both in the same room, then it looks like it will work.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
IanD2
Contributor
Message 12 of 16

Re: Using a WiFi complete spare disc to hard wire into tv rather than long cable to hub

Go to solution

I've been running a set up like this for a year now. BT say it won't work, but it does.

I run a cable from one of my 6 discs to a powered Netgear switch and from there to a BT Youview box, and a Naim hifi streamer for music. The Whole Home Wifi is connected to the first generation Smart Hub (with its wifi switched off).

All works great. A BT engineer said the latency would be too great for it to work on BT Sport...but it does fine.

And I would say the disc is about 12 to 15 metres from the Primary disc, in a different room.

I don't think it will support 4K Ultra HD though (but that doesn't bother me). All my subscription channels work fine.

IAN D.

0 Ratings
Sansom0512
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 16

Go to solution

I think i may need to go down this route as the powerline adapters don't appear to work with our youview ultra box.

I'm currently running a first generation BT hub so hopefully if multicast can be transmitted over the wifi then this may solve my issues.

Which discs are you using and are they easy to set up?

0 Ratings
Aileen52
Beginner
Message 14 of 16

Go to solution

Hi there, I am using the WiFi “complete “ hub and the discs that come with it .

I think you need that hub and the discs that go with it. Once you have the hub and a couple it’s very easy .....I am normally hopeless Grandma with these things !!

0 Ratings
Sansom0512
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 16

Go to solution

So I'm guessing that i'd need to change my home hub that BT originally supplied?

0 Ratings
alennox1979
Message 16 of 16

Go to solution

This solution also appears to improve the known compatibility issues with Sky Q TV with the main box cabled into a wifi disc

0 Ratings