cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 17

Re: VPN access via SH2 - help

That has to be a firmware issue. It needs looking at by one of the hub team, as it may be just one type of VPN affected. I remember issues with CISCO VPNs, where it was detecting a captive hotspot (BTWiFi) , which caused wireless to drop out, but I suppose you have wireless turned off, so that should not be a problem. I am surprised it not an issue that has been reported before, unless its specific to your VPN.

Message 12 of 17

@Keith_Beddoe I agree and told the support manager and asked if she would report it as a fault, she refused.
I'm not the first to report it, @Simon_F  had a new hub sent out as a 'fix'

@Simon_F  I'm speaking to one of the phone team to see if it's possible to use an old analogue phone on the line. I'll let you know if it.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 17

@Martin1050 

The analogue phone network is in the process of being closed down, so its very unlikely you would get a connection. The primary connection is now the socket on the back of the smart hub 2. I do not know what other providers are doing, but I suspect they may simply not bother, and suggest that people migrate to a third party VOIP provider, offering to port their number over.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 17

@Martin1050 .....I escalated my issue to a complaint and the replacement hub was sent as a fix just in case I had a duff SH2. Complaint closed when the new hub was sent out but was told to submit a new one if that didn't work...so will do so next week.

Not expecting that to achieve anything...but at least it flags it to BT as a known problem.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 17

@Simon Do you have AV installed?
If so disable it and try your VPN.
I use AVG Business Broadband and it doesn't play well with the SH2, though it's fine with other routers.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 17

I'm on a Mac and using SentinelOne.....but it's company equipment so I can't alter the AV I'm afraid.

Thanks for the reply though!

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 17

Quick update.....spent a lot of time with our IT team trying to get to the bottom of this and here's what we've found:

There was no problem with using the old SH....and there is with SH2....so clearly something in the new firmware is being more selective about the systems it likes to talk to.

I can't connect to some of our business systems using VPN.....but intriguingIy, we discovered I can with others (didn't know this before as the ones I can connect to, I never use!).

The 2 essential systems that I can't access and just show as "sever not found" , regardless of the browser I use (my default is Firefox with occasional use of Chrome) and are both HTTPS.

Whether this next bit is complete conincidence, but these 2 are also hosted by AWS (Amazon) and we struggle to get an IP address for either using Terminal

The plot thickens.......but I can't lay the blame entirely on the router if it is talking to some sytems when connecting via VPN (just not the bloody ones I need!)

IT have patched up some access for me via Citrix Workspace.....but it's a bit clunky.

To be continued....

0 Ratings