cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
MangoMan2020
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 168

Very close to returning my 2nd BT Whole Home WiFi...

Bought the BT Whole Home WiFi Triple Pack for Christmas. Went to install it just after Christmas day. One disc was totally useluess. It was stuck on the pruple light and would not update or connect at all. Just a solid puple light.

Sent that back, received a second set.

This went in no problem. All set up great.

So I was happy, but not a great first impression. Smiley Frustrated

But then...the issues. I have 5 Google Home devices and am experiencing contstant drop outs with all of them. I have 2x Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge phones, and these have been horrendous for drop outs. Everything else not bad but not great either.

Reconnection is achieved by rebooting the whole home wifi or restarting the wifi on my phones (the error I often receive is 'authentification error')

All my discs are blue and have a good connection.

Things I hve tried:

- totally reinstalling all discs

- changing channels of 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks

- setting static ip addresses

- moving discs around

- swapping discs

- enabling compatability mode

- factory resetting problem devices where supported

The fact is, right now...I've paid £170 and am worse off than my standard router and a couple of bog standard extenders. All I wanted was a solid, seamless network throughout the house, but at the moment...that promise is not being achieved by the BT Whole Home WiFi.

I see lots of information in my log file, I note things like this: 02.01.2018 17:13:27 IF[5G]:STA(e4:f0:42:28:1f:53) had deauthenticated

Is there anything else for me to try? Is there a new firmware update in the works? Or should I just give up and return?

0 Ratings
167 REPLIES 167
ldnguy
Message 2 of 168

Re: Very close to returning my 2nd BT Whole Home WiFi...

My BT whole home system worked perfectly for a couple of months after I purchased it in October and I was extremely happy with it...  however ever since the discs upgraded to a new firmware release a few weeks ago, I've been having similar problems to the ones you describe.

My google home devices seem to be particularly badly effected.

if BT don't fix the firmware soon (or provide a way of rolling back to the previous version), then I'll be joining you in returning the BT whole home system for a refund as it isn't currently fit for purpose.

0 Ratings
js25
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 168

Similar problems here following the latest firmware update. I don't have a google home, but my macbook suffers frequent dropouts now. An option to revert to the previous firmware would be fantastic, as I'm ether driven mad by the dropouts, or else I have to re-enable my router wifi and sit on the stairs with the laptop...

0 Ratings
arc1969
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 168

I can only add that you are not alone. Since the recent firmware update, my Google Home and Google minis are frequently dropping off the network. Not a day goes by without 1 or 2 of them needing rebooting. Like you, good blue signal showing all the time.
0 Ratings
spiderlane
Contributor
Message 5 of 168

Like arc1969 says, you are not alone. I have a particular problem with a MacBook pro and one Nest camera constantly dropping out. Daily reboots are also the order of the day here. It was very stable for the first week or so, and has deteriorated suddenly and recently.

(FWIW I've been on the Decemeber firmware since the beginning) 

Would be great to see someone like Dan-O chipping in here to at least acknowledge that there is an issue that's affecting more than one installation (could be slightly different causes of course but the symptoms are similar enough I believe to suggest some sort of common defect)

Cheers

Mark

0 Ratings
jaybeetoo
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 168

I'm having the same problem with Mac, iPad and Android phone.

Is there any way of going back to the previous firmware?

0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 7 of 168

Hi all,

I appreciate you're frustrated by the issues you're seeing on various devices. I can confirm we are investigating these reports as part of our continuous improvements for the product. Unfortunately a major proportion of all Wi-Fi devices were all receiving updates around the same time as our last update went live, possibly to address the KRACK WPA2 security problem - so we are investigating the impact this may have had too.

In order to help identify the issue it would be useful if you can explain:

- Exactly which devices are having issues

- Which software version they are running

- When you first noticed issues (exact date would be very useful),

- What you're doing at the time you notice an issue (streaming audio/video, browsing websites)

- Which disc you're connected to at the time (the main one next to the router or a Wi-Fi connected disc)

- And finally, does the device show any error messages against the Wi-Fi or any connections

Device expertDanO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
js25
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 168

Hi @Dan-O

Details of my connection problems are as follows:

- Exactly which devices are having issues - MacBook Pro

- Which software version they are running - High Sierra

- When you first noticed issues (exact date would be very useful) - mid-December (not sure of the exact date, sorry)

- What you're doing at the time you notice an issue (streaming audio/video, browsing websites) - browsing websites

- Which disc you're connected to at the time (the main one next to the router or a Wi-Fi connected disc) - wifi connected disc

- And finally, does the device show any error messages against the Wi-Fi or any connections - no errors shown on the macbook, wifi shown as connected.

0 Ratings
spiderlane
Contributor
Message 9 of 168

Hi @Dan-O

Many thanks for taking the time to response and to acknowledge our problems; it's appreciated. 

I'm having problems with a MacBook Pro and 4 Nest Cam Outdoor cameras. Details as follows (I've separated them out)

- Early 2013 MacBook Pro. Not an AC wireless card, only N

- High Sierra 10.13.2. Installed 07/12/2017 (before my Whole Home was purchased)

- When you first noticed issues (exact date would be very useful)

- Difficult to be exact but around 20th December it seems. 

- What you're doing at the time you notice an issue (streaming audio/video, browsing websites)

Usually just browing websites, email etc... But when the dropout occurs, any access to a network resource is blocked. I leave a ping (to the router) running in the background and so can see when the dropouts occur. They are very frequent, sometimes it will go for several minutes without dropping out, then it will be every few seconds. Sometimes the dropouts last minutes.

- Which disc you're connected to at the time (the main one next to the router or a Wi-Fi connected disc)

Interestingly this only happens when connected to a specific disk (which is connected via wifi). Connections via other discs (both wifi and powerline ethernet are completely solid with excellent throughput and stability)

- And finally, does the device show any error messages against the Wi-Fi or any connections

None, the laptop shows connected to wifi througout. 

- Nest Camera Outdoor. Note these cameras are 2.4GHz only. 

- 217-610040 (see : https://nest.com/uk/support/article/Nest-Cam-and-Dropcam-software-update-history)

- When you first noticed issues (exact date would be very useful)

- Difficult to be exact but around 20th December it seems. I have 4 cameras, all of them were compelely solid when I installed the WH, impressively so. Then just before Christmas one of them kept dropping out. I put this down to a weak signal so experimented with locations of the discs (including putting it about 2 ft away) but still dropping out every few minutes. In the last couple of days the other 3 cameras (which were stable) have also started showing exactly the same symptoms. Now all of them dropout every few minutes. 

The cameras stream video up to the Nest cloud service. 

The cameras do appear to jump discs more often than I would expect but it does seem to be significantly worse when they're connected to a wifi disc. But they will often dropout even when connected to the main disc wired to the router. E.g. currently one camera is shown as connected to the main disc with a signal strength of -59dBm but it's still "disconnected" from the network (i.e. not online and not reachable via ping)

Not able to see error messages on the cameras but the Nest UI sometimes complains of poor wifi connection or wifi interference. 

One thing to mention - I read about a problem with Nest cams and Netgear Orbi which produced the same symptoms as well (constant dropouts). Obvsiously this is a different product but it turned out to be a problem with the Nest cameras and MIMO beamforming - Netgear issued a firmware upgrade to fix this (not sure what they did, perhaps disable beamforming for 2.4Ghz devices or something). I mention this on the offchance that it's a similar issue. 

Hope this helps. Happy to provide any more infromation if required 

Cheers

Mark

0 Ratings
jaybeetoo
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 168

MacBook Pro

High Sierra (looks like a common thread!)

- When you first noticed issues (exact date would be very useful),

December

Watching YouTube or using Google docs

WiFi

No errors - shows as connected to the wifi

0 Ratings